The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2013, 12:49 PM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice
Default Re: BIG Bass fly casting help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
If you've never done it then there no way for you to know that it's actually a lot of fun to fish the big bugs.
Seriously...... don't knock it 'till you've tried it.
I never said it wasn't fun, and I mentioned that it is necessary for some people. But any novice bass angler with a fly rod can get media/marketing blinded and think they need a 10wt to cast 5 inch streamers for their local 1lb bass.

All I'm saying is to personally think critically about what YOU need to do versus what people tell you THEY need to do or what a rod manufacturer tells you their rod CAN do. If you think casting 3/0 bugs is fun, more power to you. If you are just starting out bass fishing or buying a new bass rig (as this guy seems like he is) and think you need a 9wt rod, you are probably wrong. You might not be, like I said, but you probably are.

All I ask is for him to think critically about his personal situation.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:54 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

NIck
Casting big bass flies is what this thread is about
What about that don't you understand ?
Old 07-09-2013, 01:09 PM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

People's definitions of "BIG" can be very different. I am also trying to provide the man with some additional information and thoughts that he would be wise to consider, regardless of what decision he chooses to make.

I am personally grateful for every time someone in my life has chosen to give me an alternate perspective on a subject before feeding me an answer that they believe could possibly lead to my dissatisfaction.

If you don't like my advice, that is fine, it is not for you, it is for him. He can chose to disregard it as he sees fit, it will not stop me from posting what I believe to be a valid consideration for him.

When I bought a 7wt spey rod for largemouth a nice man at the local Orvis store told me it was too much rod for what I was going to do and politely told me I would regret it. Another man there, clearly a better salesman, worked hard to convince me it was perfect. I chose to go with it. What happened? It was far too much rod for the largemouth by me, even for the big flies I wanted to throw. Let's not forget that what we think we want is not always what we truly want, and let us be thankful for those of us willing to be publicly blasted and scorned in order to warn us.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:51 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbailes View Post
lots of good advice here! i tend to grab a certain wt. rod for a few reasons...

1. how big of a fly do i want to throw?
2. what type of water and structure will i be fishing?
3. will wind effect my casting?
4. are there good chances of hooking a bruiser?
That's the criteria for choosing any rod. Very well said.

Dennis
Old 07-09-2013, 02:42 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe my limited experience is showing as I've never used a woolybugger for bass.

Back in 1987-88 the bassin' TV shows were fairly new and a buddy of mine was a big fan.
He decided that because I had a boat and he didn't, that I needed to take him bass fishing. I was a hard core trout guy at the time fishing 3-5 times a week and I remember telling the guy at the fly shop that bass fishing was a waste of time and any fly fisherman worth his salt should be practicing their skills on trout.
Anyway, I bought some stinger hooks and started spinnin' big hairy bass bugs and found out that I loved it.
Not only that, but I didn't have to drive to get to a good trout stream. There was a former reservoir that had just been opened to public fishing not 1/4 mile from my house that had big bass in it and lots of them.
Not only that but there's easily 15 other bass ponds with-in 4 miles of my house...... I went practically every day for 6 or 7 years until the saltwater bug bit me hard.
Nowadays I split my fishing time pretty evenly between trout, warmwater and the salt.... some years more one than the other.
I still use big bass bugs and poppers though. Not only because they're fun to make and but because they're fun to fish. More fun than a "trout fly" would be
So I apologize if my 25 year "limited" experience clouds my judgement.
double d likes this.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Maybe my limited experience is showing as I've never used a woolybugger for bass.

Back in 1987-88 the bassin' TV shows were fairly new and a buddy of mine was a big fan.
He decided that because I had a boat and he didn't, that I needed to take him bass fishing. I was a hard core trout guy at the time fishing 3-5 times a week and I remember telling the guy at the fly shop that bass fishing was a waste of time and any fly fisherman worth his salt should be practicing their skills on trout.
Anyway, I bought some stinger hooks and started spinnin' big hairy bass bugs and found out that I loved it.
Not only that, but I didn't have to drive to get to a good trout stream. There was a former reservoir that had just been opened to public fishing not 1/4 mile from my house that had big bass in it and lots of them.
Not only that but there's easily 15 other bass ponds with-in 3 miles of my house...... I went practically every day for 6 or 7 years until the saltwater bug bit me hard.
Nowadays I split my fishing time pretty evenly between trout, warmwater and the salt.... some years more one than the other.
I still use big bass bugs and poppers though. Not only because they're fun to make and but because they're fun to fish. More fun than a "trout fly" would be
So I apologize if my "limited" experience clouds my judgement.
If you could highlight the portion of my post that mentions "experience" or "limited" I would appreciate it.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
If you could highlight the portion of my post that mentions "experience" or "limited" I would appreciate it.
So why don't you tell us about your experience Nick ?
I'd be interested to know how you got to be such an authority
reidsisk likes this.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:13 PM

reidsisk will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
In my opinion the Sage Bass series rods are BLATANT overkill. The largemouth one is what would be a 10wt. To put that in perspective, I use a 9wt for saltwater striped bass and I generally feel its a little heavy for them.

I have no doubt that if Sage listed the species specific rods in standard weight format instead of grain weights (which confuse most fisherman) than they would be far less popular. No one needs to throw a 3/0 deer hair popper 80 feet into high wind and then pull the bass out of a tree stump with 2 other smaller bass on dropper flies.

Don't go higher than an 8wt or I personally think you will be disappointed in your fishing experience. As I've said before on other threads, many people get caught up in what a rod CAN do and not what the angler actually NEEDS to do. The SAGE Bass is a perfect example of telling the angler all the wonderful things they can do and all the huge bugs they can throw, but not actually going them what they need. A stiff broomstick can fight a bass too, but I wouldn't use it.
Actually, the Sage bass line is lighter than a 9wt.. or at least lighter than my 9wt.. I would recommend a longer rod for a beginner, but after you get used to the short rod, it becomes pretty fun. It shoots line like a cannon and it handles delicate flies with ease. I feel like an 8 or 9wt rod is perfect for large flies. I could BARELY cast a deer hair frog with my 7wt.. The 9wt now gives me a longer range for casting. Today i was consistently reaching just under 100' with a big deer hair diver on the end of my line. Not sure what you mean by overkill.. Take the advice from someone with experience with the rod. No, i wouldnt recommend it to a beginner because its not that easy to cast and can give you a lot of bad habits, but it is a good rod. I like how stiff it is so i dont have to false cast. I can leave a few feet of line out and throw it another 40 or so.. Very useful in the good fishing spots that are hard to get to.

I went fishing today and i used a grasshopper fly on a size 8 hook with my 9wt.. I didnt have a problem with it, I prefer when the line does the work for me.

I feel like its easier to go higher in wt to be able to cast a larger array of flies, large and small.

Personally, I would go with an 8 or 9wt. 9' or 9' 6".
Old 07-09-2013, 03:22 PM

I'm not claiming to have super authority here. I am simply stating my opinion, one that runs counter to yours, and you have taken it personally.

I have in fact said multiple times in my posts that my suggestions are in line with my personal feelings only and that they are not right in every case.

Again, I'm not looking to attack you or anyone else here. I am expressing a concern I have and merely asking that he considers it. If he doesn't want to, or thinks that it is wrong, that is his choice, and I will respect it.

I believe that opinions, advice, and help are why we are all part of this forum. On this matter, I have an opinion, some advice, and am trying to help.

You, Rip Tide, have always been helpful to me with questions in the past, and I thank you for that. I can see that this is getting a little out of hand here, so I will be unsubscribing from this post.

Flymoron: I hope the outfit you pick suits your needs well.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:11 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

There's a lot of great info here, and opinions. IMO, you need to define your needs a little better. Some folks consider a size 6 bass bug a big fly, while others, myself included, think in terms of 1/0 to 5/0 when defining "big" for bass.

As others have said, what you are asking could include rods from a 5 wt to a 12 wt.

I agree that the criteria that bmbailes posted would be the logical place to start, but also how often will you be using this outfit.

If you've fished with conventional tackle, this is no different. No single weight fly rod will fit all conditions & situations, so if you're looking for something that fits most for you, then you need to figure out what that is & go from there.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!