The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 10:23 AM

reidsisk will become famous soon enough
Default Warmwater Flies

What flies do y'all use? I wanted to put all the "what fly should i use" threads into one. So what flies do you use for bass, bluegill/bream/sunfish, crappie, perch, pike, carp, catfish, etc.?

Bass
Deer Hair Diving Frog. Hook size - 6 to 1/0
Clouser Minnow. Red/White, Chartreuse/White, Sunfish. Hook size - 6 to 1/0
Muddler Minnow. Hook - 8 to 4
Gartside Gurgler. Black, White. Hook - 8 or 6
Poppers. Green, black, yellow, anything with color contrast. Hook - 6 to 4

Bream, Bluegill, Sunfish
Small poppers. Any color, bullet head works best for me. Hook - 8 to 6
Wooly Bugger. Black, White, Olive. Hook - 8 or 6
Clouser. Red/white, Sunfish. 8 or 6

Catfish
Wooly bugger. any color/size.

Feel free to post whatever!
Old 07-08-2013, 10:53 AM

mbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Warmwater Flies

I had really good luck with a black nose dace this week for bluegill. Last night they would come sip my popper without taking, so I put a psycho nymph dropper on and starting hammering them.

My go-to's are woolly buggers and clousers.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:09 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidsisk View Post
What flies do y'all use? I wanted to put all the "what fly should i use" threads into one. So what flies do you use for bass, bluegill/bream/sunfish, crappie, perch, pike, carp, catfish, etc.?

Bass
Deer Hair Diving Frog. Hook size - 6 to 1/0
Clouser Minnow. Red/White, Chartreuse/White, Sunfish. Hook size - 6 to 1/0
Muddler Minnow. Hook - 8 to 4
Gartside Gurgler. Black, White. Hook - 8 or 6
Poppers. Green, black, yellow, anything with color contrast. Hook - 6 to 4

Bream, Bluegill, Sunfish
Small poppers. Any color, bullet head works best for me. Hook - 8 to 6
Wooly Bugger. Black, White, Olive. Hook - 8 or 6
Clouser. Red/white, Sunfish. 8 or 6

Catfish
Wooly bugger. any color/size.

Feel free to post whatever!
You could go to many warmwater situations and catch fish with that list. Any other addition is a bonus.

Dennis
Old 07-08-2013, 11:13 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

I honestly don't think that Muddler Minnows are great bass flies, at least not in the northeast. I think they work, but almost any streamer pattern will WORK.

Over Muddlers, I would prefer any streamer patterns resembling bream, leeches, or general white minnows.

Additionally, I don't think that pencil poppers or similar poppers are great flies for bream. Floating terrestrials have always worked 10 times better for me, and resemble much more closely their natural prey (beetles, hoppers, spiders, ect.)

To bass, I would also add crayfish, mice, and terrestrials like dragonflies and hoppers.

To bream, I would add wet fly spiders, MM minnows, or briminators.

To catfish, I would add San Juan worms or any other worm flies.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
I honestly don't think that Muddler Minnows are great bass flies, at least not in the northeast. I think they work, but almost any streamer pattern will WORK.

Over Muddlers, I would prefer any streamer patterns resembling bream, leeches, or general white minnows.

Additionally, I don't think that pencil poppers or similar poppers are great flies for bream. Floating terrestrials have always worked 10 times better for me, and resemble much more closely their natural prey (beetles, hoppers, spiders, ect.)

To bass, I would also add crayfish, mice, and terrestrials like dragonflies and hoppers.

To bream, I would add wet fly spiders, MM minnows, or briminators.

To catfish, I would add San Juan worms or any other worm flies.
My uncle lives in Ohio and swears by Muddlers. Its about the only thing he uses for bass. I just like the fact that its sub surface, but close to the surface. Bass around here go for it on a cool overcast day.

Ive never tried any San Juan worms for cats. Just trout. I may give that a try. Ive NEVER caught a bass with a mouse, but i have caught them with frogs.. almost identical flies. Weird huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbchilton View Post
I had really good luck with a black nose dace this week for bluegill. Last night they would come sip my popper without taking, so I put a psycho nymph dropper on and starting hammering them.

My go-to's are woolly buggers and clousers.
Awesome! The river near me is packed with sunfish that will attack everything that hits the water. It makes topwater fishing promising and fun.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:00 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidsisk View Post
Ive never tried any San Juan worms for cats. Just trout. I may give that a try. Ive NEVER caught a bass with a mouse, but i have caught them with frogs.. almost identical flies. Weird huh?
I've actually caught most of my bigger bass on mouse flies. You'd be surprised at how well they work, and they primarily attract the larger bass. Best time to use them is right as the sun starts to go down, around 6-7PM. Throw them into some lily pads or skate them close to the shore.

Here are two of my favorite types. I primarily use the top link. They are very simple to tie. Cut the hair very short on the back end of a rabbit strip and tie it at the hook bend as the tail. Then wrap the full furred part around the shank to make a nice full fluffy body. Tie it off by the hook eye. Then make a foam cutout like the one in the picture. Tie the head in a little bit behind the eye. To secure the rest of the body, I just part the fur, put a thick line of super glue down the foam, then press it down and hold it tight against the fur until it's set. If you are a weed guard guy you can throw one of them on at the beginning.

Bottom fly in this pic

Polks Dirty Rat
Old 07-08-2013, 01:02 PM

mylobass is on a distinguished road

EP hair bream for bass and landlocked snook and baby tarpon.
Glass Minnow for bass and landlocked snook and baby tarpon.
crayfish for channel cats.
nymphs for blue tilapia.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:50 PM

dpenrod is on a distinguished road

if you roll your own flies, the la bomba bluegill snack has been a great fly for me this year. have caught bluegill, bass and catfish with it. here's a link to the recipe and a video. killer pattern. Fly Fish Food: La Bomba Bluegill Snack
Old 07-08-2013, 01:56 PM

Looks like a good one dpenrod. The bluegill around me are very picky. They will eat a bare hook if I present it right (not an exaggeration, they have...). A simple black foam beetle brings them out every cast over here.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
I've actually caught most of my bigger bass on mouse flies. You'd be surprised at how well they work, and they primarily attract the larger bass. Best time to use them is right as the sun starts to go down, around 6-7PM. Throw them into some lily pads or skate them close to the shore.

Here are two of my favorite types. I primarily use the top link. They are very simple to tie. Cut the hair very short on the back end of a rabbit strip and tie it at the hook bend as the tail. Then wrap the full furred part around the shank to make a nice full fluffy body. Tie it off by the hook eye. Then make a foam cutout like the one in the picture. Tie the head in a little bit behind the eye. To secure the rest of the body, I just part the fur, put a thick line of super glue down the foam, then press it down and hold it tight against the fur until it's set. If you are a weed guard guy you can throw one of them on at the beginning.

Bottom fly in this pic

Polks Dirty Rat

Ill give those a try! All i have is a deer hair mouse.

Ive always wondered, does popping a big fly scare other fish from feeding? I tend to save my big divers for last so I dont scare the other fish into swimming away.