The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2013, 08:00 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hanging up in Lily Pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
I second the bend back. You'd be amazed at what you can pull those things through. For bass, I like a baby bass pattern (bucktail bottom to too: white, small strip of black, olive) or a Fatal Attraction (google that one, its not normally a bend back but it works great).
I'd like to see the bend backs that you use Nick.
How about a picture and a little expiation on how you use them ?
Old 07-09-2013, 08:09 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

I fish around & thru Spadderdock pads. We don't have lilly pads in the tidal rivers I fish. At least, I've never seen any. I use a wire weed guard, which for me has been the best for preventing snags. Unfortunately, it can hinder bites too sometimes.

But, I spend more time fishing, do hook up with some fish & spend a lot less time retrieving snagged flies.

BTW, I'm also often using a 9 or 10 wt, and 20 to 25 lb tippets.

Not as stout as the 50 or 65 lb braid I use with my baitcasters, and more fun IMO.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 07-09-2013, 09:43 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I'd like to see the bend backs that you use Nick.
How about a picture and a little expiation on how you use them ?
Sleep time here. I'll throw some pics up in the morning.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:34 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Here are the two pics I said I'd post, along with tying instructions and my fishing techniques with them.

This is the baby bass style bend back.
Tying steps (bottom to top):
Bend Hook
White buck tail
Thin line of black buck tail for the bass's lateral line
Copper flash extending past buck tail
Olive buck tail.
If you want to spice it up you can add red flash for the gills as shown in the big one.
Click the image to open in full size.

This is my version of the Fatal Attraction fly ind bend back form. I use it to imitate small bluegill or pumpkinseeds that the bass feed on.
Bend hook
Wrap hook from bend to eye in silver flash
Yellow buck tail
Green flash
Neon green/chartreuse buck tail
Small amount of olive buck tail
Peacock herl
As with the first pattern, you can add red flash for gills at the end if you want
I try to keep these in a stumpy triangular shape since sunfish are not long and slender like many fish.

Some of the areas around my have a lot of vegetation and especially a lot of lily pads. With these flies, I can throw it square in the middle of a big salad pile and strip it right through. It will even skate on top of the lily pads if it has to.

The most important thing to remember when using bend backs is to go slow when stripping through vegetation (if you can). Many people assume that pulling it through fast will be better but in reality this exposes the hook more and will give you a greater chance of actually catching the weeds.

When I build my bend backs, I like the hook point to be about 1/8 of an inch below the top portion of material (excluding anything flying way up when its dry like the peacock herl in the Fatal Attraction. You want the hook point to slide through the remaining material easily during a take, but not too easily that it exposes itself constantly around vegetation.

*Special Note* - When bending the hook for these types of flies, get a nice wide, flat pair of plies (preferably the type without grooves in the jaws). When clamping down, put the entire hook eye down to the point you want to bend within the jaws. What I mean by this is that the pliers should be on the same plane as the fly, pointing down the shank of the hook. This ensures that you wont break the eye or crack the shank while you bend.
stl_geoff likes this.

Last edited by nick k; 07-10-2013 at 09:00 AM.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:22 PM

reidsisk will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Here are the two pics I said I'd post, along with tying instructions and my fishing techniques with them.

This is the baby bass style bend back.
Bend Hook
White buck tail
Thin line of black buck tail for the bass's lateral line
Copper flash extending past buck tail
Olive buck tail.
If you want to spice it up you can add red flash for the gills as shown in the big one.

This is my version of the Fatal Attraction fly ind bend back form. I use it to imitate small bluegill or pumpkinseeds that the bass feed on.
Bend hook
Wrap hook from bend to eye in silver flash
Yellow buck tail
Green flash
Neon green/chartreuse buck tail
Small amount of olive buck tail
Peacock herl
As with the first pattern, you can add red flash for gills at the end if you want
I try to keep these in a stumpy triangular shape since sunfish are not long and slender like many fish.

Some of the areas around my have a lot of vegetation and especially a lot of lily pads. With these flies, I can throw it square in the middle of a big salad pile and strip it right through. It will even skate on top of the lily pads if it has to.

The most important thing to remember when using bend backs is to go slow when stripping through vegetation (if you can). Many people assume that pulling it through fast will be better but in reality this exposes the hook more and will give you a greater chance of actually catching the weeds.

When I build my bend backs, I like the hook point to be about 1/8 of an inch below the top portion of material (excluding anything flying way up when its dry like the peacock herl in the Fatal Attraction. You want the hook point to slide through the remaining material easily during a take, but not too easily that it exposes itself constantly around vegetation.

*Special Note* - When bending the hook for these types of flies, get a nice wide, flat pair of plies (preferably the type without grooves in the jaws). When clamping down, put the entire hook eye down to the point you want to bend within the jaws. What I mean by this is that the pliers should be on the same plane as the fly, pointing down the shank of the hook. This ensures that you wont break the eye or crack the shank while you bend.
Now this is a fly i need to try.. I am terrible at tying though.. It looks like a mean bass fly to me!
Old 07-10-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidsisk View Post
Now this is a fly i need to try.. I am terrible at tying though.. It looks like a mean bass fly to me!
It is really easier than it looks. No fancy techniques needed, just layering materials on top of each other in the right order. Colors can be swapped out as needed or according to what materials you have.

The baby bass one is especially easy, just a few clumps of bucktail and some flash strips.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:46 AM

reidsisk will become famous soon enough

Quote:
It is really easier than it looks. No fancy techniques needed, just layering materials on top of each other in the right order. Colors can be swapped out as needed or according to what materials you have.

The baby bass one is especially easy, just a few clumps of bucktail and some flash strips.
Im really low on materials because my dog got into all my deer hair.. Ill give it a try and will let you know how it works!
Old 07-11-2013, 06:26 PM

gannoli is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidsisk View Post
I was thinking the exact thing! This fly is perfect for what I want to do. Unfortunately I haven't started trying my own flies yet.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gannoli View Post
I was thinking the exact thing! This fly is perfect for what I want to do. Unfortunately I haven't started trying my own flies yet.
All the more reason to get cracking. A lot of people are put off by how hard they think tying will be, and how many materials they think they will need. In reality, its not very hard, and once you get the basics of wrapping thread (which is really extremely simple), you can come up with as many patterns as you have the imagination to envision.

I got a bass pro bass fly tying kit to start off. It came with a bunch of materials, a standard clamp vise, threads, the essential tools, and a GREAT instructional DVD by Lefty Kreh. I still use most of those same tools today and still use some of the materials as well. As time progressed, I have upgraded my vise, some tools, and bought LOTS of materials. If you want to make a lot of really great bass patterns, all you need is some buck tail, hackle, marabou, chenille, flash, and foam (maybe not the foam but I love tying with foam. Get these in some assorted colors and you will be good. If you buy a decent kit like I did, it will include all of those materials starting off. From that point, you add as your addiction grows.