The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2013, 03:47 PM

gannoli is on a distinguished road
Default Hanging up in Lily Pads

So I'm pretty new to bass on the fly. I love fishing in the weeds and lily pads with my bait caster with 40lb braid so I wanted to try some thing similar with my fly rod. I know I can't pull my fly right across the tops like with my bait caster so I've been trying to fish mainly the edges. Only problem is my accuracy isn't the best so I sometimes land in the pads. When this happens I feel like I hang up in the pads every time even when its only one or two pads. Some of my poppers have weed guards and they still hang up. Does anyone have any advise on avoiding these hang ups or un snagging them easily?
Old 07-09-2013, 04:09 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hanging up in Lily Pads

Usually I cast into the "pockets" and let my bug sit there as long as possible then give it a little "jiggle" or two. Then I'll tighten up as much as possible on the slack, lift the rod tip up high, and try to skip my bug across the tops of lily pads.
If you're going to retrieve right through the pads it's important to keep the nose up and the slack out and that's done by keeping the rod tip high. It takes some practice.
I fish out of a canoe most of the time and it's really important that your "boat" is stationary. If the breeze moves you just a bit your line will wind around a lily stem and that's the end of your presentation.

You can't do this kind of fishing without weed guards, and I use 2
Bass bugs are light weight. A lot lighter than the hardware that you're used to and a big bass bustin' on a bass bug is likely to push it away especially if it has a stout weed guard that it has to bite through. So I use 2 light weed guards rather than one stout one.
Besides, weed guards get bent out of shape after you've gotten stuck in the lily pads too many times and when one gets ruined, you can cut it off and still be good to go with the second.

Popper with 2 weed guards

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:24 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Using the double weed guard like Rip works well for me in the pads! Also letting the fly sit in the pockets and twitching.
Also I use a flat shaped deer hair bug that most of the time the hook point rides up so I can't skitter it across the pads . Similiarly a ride up point weed less bucktail that I skitter across for Pickeral in the spring . Deadly!
Last nite my son caught a huge Pumpkinseed in the pads that probably weighed a pound plus 5 lbs of weed to add to the mess . Getting in the pads in the daytime is many times a key to getting fish. As dark rolls around the edges of these same pads seems to be the ticket!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 07-09-2013, 04:39 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Not a good example or picture, but this is a 3/0 bendback diver.
They work unbelievably well in the salad
I got the recipe from "Warmwater Fly Fishing" magazine, April '99

reidsisk, nick k and gannoli like this.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:42 PM

reidsisk will become famous soon enough

Has anyone considered making a popper with an upside-down hook? Not sure if it is possible, but that could help a little with the lilly pad problem. Thats how some of my baitcasting frogs are, which helps a whole lot.

I have trouble with algae and milfoil around here. Not much lilly pads unless i go to my friend's farm.

Im interested in this topic as well!

---------- Post added at 04:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:40 PM ----------

Thats awesome! any idea where i could find this recipe online? Id love to try it
Old 07-09-2013, 05:15 PM

Hopefully this is okay

This is an original fly by J. Galt Allee, M.D. as published in Warmwater Fly Fishing April/May 1999
What it doesn't say in the recipe that was mentioned in the article is that it's important that it's a 3/0, 34007 hook for the weight

hook: Mustad 34007, size 3/0
thread: white monocord, size A
body : acrylic yarn, cream
wing: white bucktail flanked by pearlescent Krystal Flash and grizzly saddle hackle with topping of peacock herl.
gills: acrylic yarn, red
head: deer hair, natural
eyes: 5mm solid plastic eyes.

gannoli likes this.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:17 PM

Thanks for the pointers! I'm going try sneaking up to the pads to make shorter casts. And start trying my own flies!
Rip Tide likes this.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:18 PM

reidsisk will become famous soon enough

Well thats just about perfect! thanks for sharing that!
Old 07-09-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Not a good example or picture, but this is a 3/0 bendback diver.
They work unbelievably well in the salad
I got the recipe from "Warmwater Fly Fishing" magazine, April '99

Just occurred to me for you fly tiers, change the color to greens, add some rubber legs and boom you got a nice weedless frog.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:06 PM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

I second the bend back. You'd be amazed at what you can pull those things through. For bass, I like a baby bass pattern (bucktail bottom to too: white, small strip of black, olive) or a Fatal Attraction (google that one, its not normally a bend back but it works great).