The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2013, 09:56 AM

bigtone1411 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: My Helios broke last week!

Hey Rick. Have you heard back from Orvis yet? I'm just curious what they are going to do for you? I have always had good luck with them.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:32 AM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtone1411 View Post
Hey Rick. Have you heard back from Orvis yet? I'm just curious what they are going to do for you? I have always had good luck with them.
Big,

The Orvis e-mail says "please allow 4 to 6 weeks" I sent it FedEx insured, and it should have arrived at VT a week ago.

I'll give it another week, then I'll check with them.

I've purchased some neat UL spin stuff, and I have been catchin' so many crappie ....... I hope I can get back into fly fishing again? I was going to try carp on the fly, but lots of rain and now this super heat spell?

I sit in my float tube at twilight and bounce tiny jigs near the bottom in 20' of water, and just have a ball with the abundant crappie! I really didn't like to use a sink line on a fly rod with a feather fly! I'm a lazy guy?

"Who can say where your road goes, when the days close, only time"
"and who can say if your love for Helios grows, only time"

Last edited by rickf; 07-17-2013 at 02:53 AM.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:25 PM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice

Quote:
Hey Rick. Have you heard back from Orvis yet?
bigtone,

I sent them a e-mail last night. They responded this morning and said that they received my rod and will repair ASAP.

I shipped with FedEx (the guy there saw the Helios name on the rod tube, and I thought he might steal it!), and it takes one week to get the rod to Manchester, VT! LOL, maybe I should have gone with UPS?

It's so hot that I only go fishing near dark and my UL spin is working out pretty good with the crappies. Also a inch broke off the top of the rod ...... if they glue another tip on the rod will be 1" too short! They will have to put another top section on?

---------- Post added at 12:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
I did remember that you had a Superfine, and I love mine as well. I actually went to my local Orvis yesterday
Nick,

We used to have a Orvis dealer close by (in Lancaster) I think it was called "Evening Rise". They closed two years ago! I'll have to look for another dealer that isn't too far away.

The problem is: The dealers only have a small percentage of the Orvis stuff. When I went looking for a 1wt Superfine (four years ago) the shop only had 4, 5, and 6 wts! The guy there didn't even know that Orvis made a 1 wt rod!

I ordered online (and I got a free reel also). Any fly shop can only carry a few items ...... and they will double-talk like crazy to sell you what they have in their store!! They have to, or they would go out of business!

Orvis sends me catalogs almost every week! And I love their web site. Late at night, drinking a bit, and a comfy chair in front of my 27" iMac screen, I order online ....... maybe too much!

Tungsten bead heads 7/64 in black and in bulk (100) at a low price ....... Lip Ripper ..... also a good cyber site!
Old 07-19-2013, 02:35 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickf View Post
Tungsten bead heads 7/64 in black and in bulk (100) at a low price ....... Lip Ripper ..... also a good cyber site!
If you are looking to buy beads, cones, or chains, you can't get any better prices than Allen. Cheaper if you buy in bulk too I think. Plus free shipping.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
If you are looking to buy beads, cones, or chains, you can't get any better prices than Allen. Cheaper if you buy in bulk too I think. Plus free shipping.
Nick,

Are you a salesman for Allen? Maybe a kickback? A friend that works there? Don't you think that most folks are smart enough to compare prices? Even if you can't multiply, a calculator is pretty easy to use these days!

I just checked, and Allen is $5.35 for 25 beads. no bulk 100?

$5.35 X 4 = $21.40 . Lip is $11.95! but you get free shipping with Allen! LOL but Lip also has free shipping if you spend some bucks there.

I hope that you know that I'm only kidding with you, Nick? Just having a little fun until the sun goes down a bit! I've become a vampire and only fish at night!
Old 07-19-2013, 05:26 PM

bigtone1411 will become famous soon enough

Yeah rick, I think they would have to give you a whole new top section. I can't imagine how they would repair one inch of broken tip. Whatever they do, they will make it right, they are Orvis after all.

Nothing wrong with enjoying the spinning rod. I still do from time to time. But that helios is such a sweet stick.

oh well. good luck to you, whatever you choose to use. Fishing in general is the best pastime on this planet. I feel sorry for those who don't understand this.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:
But that helios is such a sweet stick.
Fishing in general is the best pastime on this planet.
Big,

I agree! Fishing is my passion in life!

Yesterday, I was catchin' the bluegills and crappie pretty good with my 3wt Cabelas PT. This hot, summer water has the weeds so thick in my fave lake that a fly rod works a lot better than a spin for me. Even with the smallest jig I can cast with my spin rod, the bait sinks too fast and gets stuck in the weeds (I guess I could use a float, but I just won't do it)

I would catch a few with my good presentation of small streamers, but when I nose-hooked a Gulp Alive 1" minnow with no weight at all ...... the crappie would smack it every cast!

I think my Helios should arrive pretty soon. I can hardly wait!