The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 12:02 AM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice
Default My Helios broke last week!

The tip (near the end of the rod) broke off last week while I was fishing for 'gills in my fave lake. I'm not sure what happened? I was casting close to shore and maybe it hit a twig during the cast?

Anyway ......... Orvis is the best company for rod repair (asked no questions at all!), they gave me a fix number and I mailed it FedEx.

I've had that rod for three years now. I've caught trout, smallmouth, bluegills, crappie, perch, and even a carp!...... I must have caught 10,000 fish with that rod and never a prob? I fish my Helios about 99% of the time I go fishing! I love that rod!

Well, I could use my Sage 5wt or go with a 3wt Cabelas PT. The PT is a 7' rod, 2 pc, and it seems pretty light. I put my Orvis LA on the rod with the same 3wt line I always use.

Wow!! what a terrible piece of junk! The crappy 7' rod won't cast nearly as far as the 8'4" Helios! The stupid thing feels "reel heavy" won't turn over the line with a tungsten bead head fly?

Next time, I'll try my Sage Fli 9' 5wt? Or, now that the rain stopped, I just might purchase a 7wt Helios 2 and go for the abundant carp in the lower Susquehanna!

Pic of the PT in my float tube:
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:21 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My Helios broke last week!

Had to be heartbreaking when it snapped. Wonder if one of those bead-head flies knocked it some time back and the damage finally caught up with you?
Old 07-10-2013, 12:56 AM

bigtone1411 will become famous soon enough

Thats awful. My Helios is my favorite rod. It is an 8 1/2' 5wt. mid flex. It is my go to rod for stream fishing. I have had it for 5 years. I would cry if it broke. Orvis will take care of you. By the way, I just got a Helios 2 9' 6wt tip flex for bigger fish and flies. What a canon!!! I took it out on my friends neigborhood lake last weekend and caught some nice largemouths. If you need a good rod for carpin, this or a 7wt H2 would be the bomb.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:36 AM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtone1411 View Post
My Helios is my favorite rod. It is an 8 1/2' 5wt. mid flex. It is my go to rod
Yeah, I miss it already! LOL When I finally get a "top shelf" rod that is fun to fish with ....... well, I almost cried!

Orvis has some pretty good fly stuff, and I think the Helios (or Helios 2 now) is by far the best fly rod available today.

Mine is a 3wt 4 pc "mid flex" with a super taper for a perfect cast every time! With stream trout or bluegills ........ Oh My!

When you finally use a good fly rod, it's hard to go back to the crappy junk we used to use?

When I see all these carp fly vids and pix (like John and Joni?), I think I'll have to catch a couple on a fly rod? And now that I'm spoiled with top shelf stuff ........ I just might get the Helios 2 combo 8wt? A 7wt is fine, but the 8wt combo is such a good deal!

It's almost like golf, when I go out, I like to have good stuff with me for a fun time!
baseman1 likes this.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:33 AM

reidsisk will become famous soon enough

Orvis is pretty amazing with customer service. I had a used Silver Label that broke and they fixed it free of charge! They even offered to give me an Orvis Access if they couldnt repair my Silver Label! very good company
Old 07-10-2013, 09:32 AM

bigtone1411 will become famous soon enough

Yeah Rick, I am lusting after the H2 8 weight. I'd like to wiggle the mid and tip flex to see which one I want. That Mirage reel would be awesome also. If only I had unlimited funds.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:25 AM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

I have the helios 6 weight tip flex with the mirage reel, orange dacron backing, and a trout lt. I love that rod/reel combo.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:52 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

When I saw "rickf" "helios" and "break" in one post, I knew that this was a serious issue. We all know that helios is your baby.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
When I saw "rickf" "helios" and "break" in one post, I knew that this was a serious issue. We all know that helios is your baby.
Yeah, Nick, but you do know that I owned a Superfine (1wt 7'6" 4pc) a few years before you got your Superfine? I loved that rod even more! I sold it to a friend on another forum ...... sometimes I wish I would have kept it!

So many wonderful memories of catching medium sized bluegills on a size 16 dry fly! Or 6" wild trout in tiny remote streams? Superfines are also great!

I simply love fly fishing, and when you fish with a good rod ...... you will never go back to the cheapo **** again!
Old 07-11-2013, 08:21 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

I did remember that you had a Superfine, and I love mine as well. I've always been happy with Orvis rods and products. I actually went to my local Orvis yesterday to get backing put on 2 reels and to buy some tying stuff. The guys there are really nice and I go in a lot. They didn't end up charging me for the backing (I got 200 of 30lb and 120 of 20lb) which basically cut my receipt in half.