The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2013, 09:33 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: I'm falling in love with my spin rod!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I'm not a religious person, but I'm pretty sure that you have to repent before you can be forgiven
Agreed. I'm thinking some sort of sacroficial donation is in order. A fly rod each to Rip Tide and I should absolve you.....for now.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:08 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
For the most part, I've been fly rod only since 1968.
Spin fishing is just not enjoyable to me. Sure, you're still out there fishin' but it's a hollow pleasure compared to fly casting.

I started fly fishing in saltwater in the mid 70s
At the time I wasn't aware of anyone else fishing this way and in fact I was told that you couldn't catch saltwater fish on flies and I was wasting my time.
I did it anyway.
I did it because I didn't like using spin and conventional gear and I wasn't about to compromise just because it was logical way to go.
I fish for my own fun and for me that means with a fly rod.... only.

---------- Post added at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 PM ----------

Here's the thing
If you're going to continue using your spinning gear as a crutch then you might as well give up fly fishing altogether.
You're not going to get any better.
Going back to "old reliable" instead of fly fishing your way through a tough situation won't help you learn how to deal with adverse conditions.

Hide your spin gear in the closet and only fish fly and you'll be far better off.
This post captures my feelings the best on this subject. Working your way through a tough situation , conditions etc is what makes you a better fly guy. Similar to Rip I was SW fly fishing when no one else seemed to be and many times the same went for FW fishing . I enjoyed the challenge and it definitely taught me more about fly fishing as well as my quarry .
With that being said I've known some beyond great spin and gear fisherman who at any time could pick up a fly rod and probably be just as great. But they chose not to and that is their choice and preference and I respect them for it.
Many times they have stated that they learned things from me but at the same time they have taught me and helped me refine my own methods by things that they do .
One of my closest friends is a commercial pin hooker( he makes his living with a rod and reel) and his knowledge of SW fish is second to none. Many times when Im having a drought in the salt I could call on him for info or just go out with him and always turn things around through his knowledge! And yes he has fly fished with me and enjoyed it but gear is his game and he's exceptional at it.
So even though my passion is fly fishing I realize that there are some fantastic gear guys out there and I respect there ability and their right to chose.

---------- Post added at 09:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 AM ----------

If you ever want to know your truly addicted and get very strange stares try showing up on the Channel 2 Bridge(on top) in Islamorada with fly rods!
Rip Tide and swirlchaser like this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 07-13-2013, 10:19 AM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

I caught my first fish using a stick ,some kite string, and a snelled baitholder hook with parboiled elbow macaroni on it. I was a happy kid!

Dad had a cane fly rod and auto reel collecting dust in the closet. One day I yanked it out and asked him..."what's this"? Later on somebody gave us a used spinning outfit and after that a level wind. I got to learn the art of patience pickin' the bird's nest apart till I got my thumb educated..... came in handy on "wind knots".

All in all, I like the dry fly on fly rod......somethin' about the casting and selling the fish a fake. I've got all "the Gear" rigs, which seldom get fished,but my favorite way to use them is out in the yard throwing plastic plugs at a bucket.

PS: Isn't parboiled macaroni an imitation fly? lol
Old 07-13-2013, 10:24 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
If you ever want to know your truly addicted and get very strange stares try showing up on the Channel 2 Bridge(on top) in Islamorada with fly rods!
Nauset Beach, top of the tide, 6 foot surf
"Hey, you catch any flies with that toy rod ?"
theboz and nick k like this.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:40 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Montauk 1973 , " Do you really think anyone is going to let you in the lineup at the bar( North Bar) with that fly swatter?!"
nick k likes this.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:04 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Many of the people where I fish don't even know what a fly rod is and ask me why my rod looks different.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
Many of the people where I fish don't even know what a fly rod is and ask me why my rod looks different.
Fortunately things have changed drastically at the Point since 1973! Now there are times when there are as many fly casters as there are surfcasters! Funny how things evolve.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:31 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
Montauk 1973 , " Do you really think anyone is going to let you in the lineup at the bar( North Bar) with that fly swatter?!"
Montauk 1973, wait, I wasn't born until 1974. Sorry, I couldn't resist it John.
theboz likes this.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:19 PM

herocast is on a distinguished road

The only time I don't take a spinning rod along is if I'm going trout fishing. Mostly because of the way my fly assortment is. I have way more flies for trout than I do for bass, pickerel, etc. I really need to start tying more!
Old 07-14-2013, 08:37 AM

grouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura about

I have a spin outfit and no amount of fly snobbery is going to make me feel guilty when I use it. I prefer fly most of the times but spin fishing is the other side of the coin, the same coin I love so much anyway. I have about ten 1-2 ounce Yozuri's and an absolute sweet as pie St. Croix 7' Avid surf rod mated to a Stradic Ci4 4000 loaded with 20lb Suffix 882. The thing I enjoy about this set up is it's light as can be, I seem to take it far less seriously and I love my expensive plastic lures. I can also cast it into the next zip code. When all else fails, it's the only outfit I have that lets me cast live eels with a buddy of mine that fishes bait from time to time.

Moral of the story is I try not to limit the fun I can have. Life is too short for that nonsense. If the occasional spin trip brings me fun then so be it. I let a fly friend of mine cast it a couple of times one night and he quickly handed it back to me. He said if he had a set up like that, he just might give up fly fishing. I told him that the light salt rig is more like a flyrod than anything else just to make him feel better.
bigjim5589 and haulingmario like this.