The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2013, 08:53 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: I'm falling in love with my spin rod!

I was graduating high school in '73.

Like grouch, I also use other tackle, spinning, baitcasting & trolling. I enjoy fly fishing the most, but since my fishing time these days is limited, I don't limit myself to one method. Time & place for all of it IMO.

I even enjoy dunking bait for catfish once in awhile!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 07-14-2013, 09:58 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

If you're fly fishing waters that you 'just know' should have trout in them, but you're not seeing anything - no follows, no flashes, nothing - then here's a trick.

Take your spinning rod (I know you have one) and cast a small Rapala minnow out there and see what happens. (If you want to be more of a purist, take the hooks off the minnow.)

If you suddenly start seeing fish following the lure, then the problem is not 'no fish'. The problem is that they don't like what you're offering. Try something else.

Of course, the really small lures (Rapala F3, for example) are balsa and light enough to tie onto your fly leader.

Just watch out that the waters are not 'fly fishing only'.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:04 PM

herocast is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecain View Post
If you're fly fishing waters that you 'just know' should have trout in them, but you're not seeing anything - no follows, no flashes, nothing - then here's a trick.

Take your spinning rod (I know you have one) and cast a small Rapala minnow out there and see what happens. (If you want to be more of a purist, take the hooks off the minnow.)

If you suddenly start seeing fish following the lure, then the problem is not 'no fish'. The problem is that they don't like what you're offering. Try something else.

Of course, the really small lures (Rapala F3, for example) are balsa and light enough to tie onto your fly leader.

Just watch out that the waters are not 'fly fishing only'.
This method would work great for when the water is on the high side. With all the rain we've been getting in the NE the West Branch Delaware peaked at over 5000cu/min (normally ~400-500cu/min at this time of year) and as it was dropping to around 2000cu/min a guy in our camp said he saw a lot of commotion in one of the eddies that normally has only about 5" of water in it. Long story short it was a trout feeding frenzy on dead alewives. He tied on a white streamer, let it dead drift and landed over 20 fish. The same result could have probably been met with a small Rapala.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:04 PM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
Agreed. I'm thinking some sort of sacroficial donation is in order. A fly rod each to Rip Tide and I should absolve you.....for now.
LOL!!

Now, that's a good one, Nick!

With my Helios still away from it's home, I have fallin' so deep into the "dark side" . I've been bailin' the crappie and white perch with a UL spin rod! And to top that, I have been catchin' bass like crazy with a spin rod and a senko! I use a "magic green" (which is really a green pumpkin with black flake) ...... I'm pretty sure it's demonic, the way it wiggles in the water!!

I'm way beyond a confession? If I don't get my fly rod back soon ........ I'm not really sure what my fishing future holds?
troutnut4 likes this.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:59 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickf View Post
LOL!!

Now, that's a good one, Nick!

With my Helios still away from it's home, I have fallin' so deep into the "dark side" . I've been bailin' the crappie and white perch with a UL spin rod! And to top that, I have been catchin' bass like crazy with a spin rod and a senko! I use a "magic green" (which is really a green pumpkin with black flake) ...... I'm pretty sure it's demonic, the way it wiggles in the water!!

I'm way beyond a confession? If I don't get my fly rod back soon ........ I'm not really sure what my fishing future holds?
I've always said that the flyrod is not the ideal way to catch a Largemouth. I can do it but I can't double the amount of fish when I fish my baitcaster.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:43 PM

dpreller is on a distinguished road

to each there own i guess. i always wanna catch fish on my fly rod but for mee sometimes its just not practical. this time of year when im fishing a bass pond or a smallie river if the fish arent responding on or near the surface i have no problem grabbing a light or ultra light spinning rod and catching some. to me so much of the fun of flyfishing is casting and slinging an 8 wt with a sinking line or a chunck of lead bears little resemblence to casting a cork popper on a 4 wt. so if im fishing an evening on a pond or river alot of times ill start with a light spinning rod and a senko as rick mentioned or maybe a grub and go deeper and catch some fish. as the sun goes down and the fish get shallower and look more towards the surface ill get the fly rod out and fish a light clouser or a cork popper for the last hour or so. we all fish for whatever gives us pleasure and this is the way ive found i enjoy.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:12 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
I've always said that the flyrod is not the ideal way to catch a Largemouth. I can do it but I can't double the amount of fish when I fish my baitcaster.
I don't agree with this, as this entirely depends on where you are and what the bass are eating. The reservoir by me has a lot of bass, but sees a huge amout of fishing pressure. Fortunately for me (kinda), fly fishing is very uncommon around here, and all that pressure is from spin rodders. The bass know to stay away from the standard spin baits, and I RARELY see any of those guys hook a fish. I, on the other hand, have no trouble catching them since I can presen bait they aren't accustomed too.

Also, flies can be used to imitate bait that can't be accomplished with spin gear. For example, at another local pond, bass feed heavily on dragon flies. I routinely see spin rodders struggling to be successful at that pond, but I always catch some with dragonfly flies.

There will always be circumstances when one setup is more successful than the other. I would not grant one the absolute advantage.
turbineblade likes this.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:02 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouch View Post
I have a spin outfit and no amount of fly snobbery is going to make me feel guilty when I use it. .
It's not fly snobbery.
It's a simple matter of do you, or do you not, want to become a more complete fly fisherman.
You can use your crutch or you can learn how to achieve the same goal with the fly.
Up to you.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:48 PM

grouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura about

No offense Rip but I have been flyfishing a lot longer than I have been spin fishing. It's not a crutch that I fall back on, just a different tool for a different job with the same goal. I use the fly sticks 10/1 over the spin. I love everything about fly casting. However, there are simply things a fly can't do that a spin set up can. Heck, sometimes it's fun to fish with live eels.

As far as the complete flyfisherman thing goes, I fish to have fun and get away. If I am doing that then that's about as complete as I could hope to be. I have gone through periods of my life where I take the things I love way too seriously and pound the very love right smack out of it. Fly fishing took about an eight year break, I thought I'd never come back. But during that absence I found distance. That distance turned out to be a gift. When I picked it back up again, the innocence that was with me when I first started fishing came back. I swear I won't ever let it leave again. I am relearning the simple things again. Could care less about the latin names for bugs and will gladly fish a Pistol Pete through a PMD hatch. I'll gladly tie a streamer with some random feather plucked from a dog toy at the grocery store and if that isn't enough, I'll even pick up a spinning rod from time to time.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:11 AM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
It's not fly snobbery.
It's a simple matter of do you, or do you not, want to become a more complete fly fisherman.
Rip,

I know what you mean, dude! But this thread is really about fishing perfection and relaxing fun.

Example: I fish the world famous Yellow Breeches all the time. C&R only, but for the last couple years the spin guys can fish there also. Any soft plastic or any plug or any spinner is all legal now!

I'm a seasoned fly fisherman and I tie all my own stuff. I know a lot of people who fish there. I walk around with my $800 Helios, and my "sonic seam" Orvis waders and my Stetson hat! I know all the techniques and I know how the trout feed.

A kid with a cheapo spin outfit was casting a inline spinner, Roostertail (I think he had 8lb test mono) and he was catchin' a trout on almost every cast! His buddy, also a young kid, was using a spin rod with a huge 3" soft plastic minnow and a 1/4 oz split shot a foot above. He was also catchin' like crazy.

I was using a zebra midge with a PT above under a strike indicator ...... and I couldn't buy a bite! I changed to a streamer and lead eye bugger, but no fish?

I thought I could go back with some live mealworms in my vest pocket (hook one on my fly when nobody was watching) or use my UL spin with soft plastics? I chose the later, and never looked back!