The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2013, 07:18 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: I'm falling in love with my spin rod!

I think the difference here is that some people like "fly fishing" and some people like "fishing" with a preference towards fly.
troutnut4 likes this.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:10 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Also let's remember -- this is a fly fishing forum.

Most things are geared that way, not toward convential tackle.

This is kind of like talking about how great your Remington is on a Ruger forum.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:12 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickf View Post

I'm a seasoned fly fisherman and I tie all my own stuff. I know a lot of people who fish there. I walk around with my $800 Helios, and my "sonic seam" Orvis waders and my Stetson hat! I know all the techniques and I know how the trout feed.

A kid with a cheapo spin outfit was casting a inline spinner, Roostertail (I think he had 8lb test mono) and he was catchin' a trout on almost every cast! His buddy, also a young kid, was using a spin rod with a huge 3" soft plastic minnow and a 1/4 oz split shot a foot above. He was also catchin' like crazy.

I was using a zebra midge with a PT above under a strike indicator ...... and I couldn't buy a bite! I changed to a streamer and lead eye bugger, but no fish?

I thought I could go back with some live mealworms in my vest pocket (hook one on my fly when nobody was watching) or use my UL spin with soft plastics? I chose the later, and never looked back!
Thanks for making my point for me.

I fish with a 50 year old Phillipson, a $4 hat from W*lmart and snazzy waders from Cabela's.
And I've been fly fishing long enough so that I understand very well that I do not now, and very likely will never know everything there is to know about trout behavior.
Personally I'm reminded of something forgotten or I learn something new practically every time out.
For a lot of fly fishermen, it's solving these puzzles is what they find most intriguing.