The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Warmwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/warmwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   I'm falling in love with my spin rod! (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/warmwater-fly-fishing/324896-im-falling-love-my-spin-rod.html)

rickf 07-12-2013 04:06 AM

I'm falling in love with my spin rod!

I sent my Helios back for a tip repair, and no word when it will be fixed yet! I'm a little mixed up now ....... so I purchased a UL spin St Croix and some 2 lb NanoFil!

"Long nights abound, no Helios"
"I'm fallin' in love with my spin rod"
"Who I was before, I cannot recall"
"I hope I fall safely to the ground"

mylobass 07-12-2013 06:09 AM

Re: I'm falling in love with my spin rod!

I have a long standing love affair with old vintage Ambassadeur casting reels. You will be alright.

nick k 07-12-2013 07:28 AM

I figured you would have dusted off the ol' superfine before you grabbed a UL spinner.

swirlchaser 07-12-2013 10:49 AM

I'm building an ultra lite spinner as we speak, using a 4wt fly blank. It should be a blast on the Bass.

Flyfisher for men 07-12-2013 12:22 PM

I always have two spin rods with me when I'm fishing as well as a full tackle box of conventional tackle. I don't use them much, but there are times when it isn't practical to fly fish e.g. heavy wind or there's too many people around. I've been known to set up the bigger spin rod with a small bluegill, frog, big crawdad for a monster catfish or bass while I use the fly rod.

nick k 07-12-2013 12:38 PM

Blasphemers!

troutnut4 07-12-2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nick k (Post 572021)
Blasphemers!

I agree with Nick. You should let Orvis know how much you miss her (Helios) and you have now resorted to "two-timing" on her with that little St. Croix cutie that's got you spinning.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

nick k 07-12-2013 01:04 PM

And to think, you're out there hooking and getting some tail with another young piece while your old love is all broken up.

Hardyreels 07-12-2013 01:05 PM

Here in Alaska I see more people using excessive weight - plastic salmon egg beads - and large indicators with fly rods & reels, line, etc. Whenever I see this type I wish they were using spinning gear.

There is nothing wrong with spinning gear. I started fishing by using a throw line and when I got a Shakespeare bait casting rod and a closed 999 reel I thought I had entered the space age. There are many types of conditions where a spin casting rod and proper lures make a whole lot more sense than piling weight onto flies and leaders in an attempt to get to the correct depth.

When I began fishing the Great Lakes rivers and creeks I had a very brief go with weights and chuck & duck fishing. It was so not like fly casting that the rig lasted but one hour. Since that lesson I learned that not all water is conducive to fly fishing and if I were to go to a place where the only logical way to fish were with a spinning rod and a spinning lure I would gladly use one or abstain from fishing.

Nothing wrong with those rods & reels,

Ard

troutnut4 07-12-2013 01:18 PM

You are 100% absolutely correct Ard. But if It comes down to having to make a choice.. I would pick Fly Fishing every time. JMHO:D I recently introduced my two grandsons (8 & 5 years old) to spin cast and they are doing well with a couple of lessons. Now all they have to do is catch something before they get discouraged. Much easier that teaching them with a fly rod.:eek: