The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 04:06 AM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice
Default I'm falling in love with my spin rod!

I sent my Helios back for a tip repair, and no word when it will be fixed yet! I'm a little mixed up now ....... so I purchased a UL spin St Croix and some 2 lb NanoFil!

"Long nights abound, no Helios"
"I'm fallin' in love with my spin rod"
"Who I was before, I cannot recall"
"I hope I fall safely to the ground"

Old 07-12-2013, 06:09 AM

mylobass is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I'm falling in love with my spin rod!

I have a long standing love affair with old vintage Ambassadeur casting reels. You will be alright.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:28 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

I figured you would have dusted off the ol' superfine before you grabbed a UL spinner.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:49 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

I'm building an ultra lite spinner as we speak, using a 4wt fly blank. It should be a blast on the Bass.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:22 PM

Flyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to all

I always have two spin rods with me when I'm fishing as well as a full tackle box of conventional tackle. I don't use them much, but there are times when it isn't practical to fly fish e.g. heavy wind or there's too many people around. I've been known to set up the bigger spin rod with a small bluegill, frog, big crawdad for a monster catfish or bass while I use the fly rod.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:38 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Blasphemers!
imxer, fysh, Rip Tide and 4 others like this.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:00 PM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
Blasphemers!
I agree with Nick. You should let Orvis know how much you miss her (Helios) and you have now resorted to "two-timing" on her with that little St. Croix cutie that's got you spinning.
nick k likes this.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:04 PM

And to think, you're out there hooking and getting some tail with another young piece while your old love is all broken up.
von behr and troutnut4 like this.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:05 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Here in Alaska I see more people using excessive weight - plastic salmon egg beads - and large indicators with fly rods & reels, line, etc. Whenever I see this type I wish they were using spinning gear.

There is nothing wrong with spinning gear. I started fishing by using a throw line and when I got a Shakespeare bait casting rod and a closed 999 reel I thought I had entered the space age. There are many types of conditions where a spin casting rod and proper lures make a whole lot more sense than piling weight onto flies and leaders in an attempt to get to the correct depth.

When I began fishing the Great Lakes rivers and creeks I had a very brief go with weights and chuck & duck fishing. It was so not like fly casting that the rig lasted but one hour. Since that lesson I learned that not all water is conducive to fly fishing and if I were to go to a place where the only logical way to fish were with a spinning rod and a spinning lure I would gladly use one or abstain from fishing.

Nothing wrong with those rods & reels,

Ard
troutnut4 likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-12-2013, 01:18 PM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all

You are 100% absolutely correct Ard. But if It comes down to having to make a choice.. I would pick Fly Fishing every time. JMHO I recently introduced my two grandsons (8 & 5 years old) to spin cast and they are doing well with a couple of lessons. Now all they have to do is catch something before they get discouraged. Much easier that teaching them with a fly rod.