The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 11:51 AM

muppetmullet81 is on a distinguished road
Default Bamboo and bluegills

Just curious if anyone out there in the warmwater fly world ever uses old bamboo rods for anything. I was given one last week by a relative and it has no markings on it as far as rod wt. or who made it. Its really pretty though and they used it for years. I was thinking of making it my pan fish rod and it just got me wondering what other people use their bamboo for.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:11 PM

superbike1 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bamboo and bluegills

hey Brother, Not really sure about the bluegill on bamboo sounds fun but I wanted to respond since it has so many views and no answers. Doesn't seem usual around here. I did catch a lot of bluegills between rain showers on my graphite fly rod today. Awesome fun. Wish I had a 2wt or 1wt to do that on. Maybe later?
Old 07-13-2013, 05:06 PM

Thanks for the response. I was starting to feel like I had done something to upset the whole forum. Like I said in the first post I was given this really sweet old bamboo fly rod the other day by a relative. It doesn't have any name or line wt, or anything marked on it. But its in great shape. From what I have read its most likely what is refered to as an occupied japan bamboo. Tons of these were made post WW2 and sold to american GI's. I don't know how strong it is so I was planning on just using it as my go to panfish rod. Somthing to play with, maybe teach the kids how to fly cast with. But it just got me wondering if there are many people out there that still use bamboo rods. And maybe if there were they might have some insight and advice.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:55 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Will be watching this thread. Was wondering the same thing. Just recently pulled an old Heddon out of my closet. Have decided to fish it, but I am not willing to really push the rod, yet.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:08 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing wrong with using bamboo for bluegills, if anyone is offended they should find something better to worry about Did the rod come with line? If you have some reels laying around might want to bring a range out to see what feels right on the rod. Might start with a 6wt, just a guess.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:13 AM

hailfly has a spectacular aura abouthailfly has a spectacular aura about

I'm just getting into fly fishing so I'm pretty ignorant of anything to do with it,
so keep that in mind lol . I had a chance some years back to buy a very nice bamboo rod from a guy and didn't because I didn't fly fish, wish I would have now.
Is there anything wrong with using a bamboo rod ? Just curious I think I heard somewhere that they were a good rod.
Kim Toth
defishing likes this.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:02 AM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailfly View Post
I'm just getting into fly fishing so I'm pretty ignorant of anything to do with it,
so keep that in mind lol . I had a chance some years back to buy a very nice bamboo rod from a guy and didn't because I didn't fly fish, wish I would have now.
Is there anything wrong with using a bamboo rod ? Just curious I think I heard somewhere that they were a good rod.
Kim Toth
Been looking into this; what I have found:

Generally bamboos are a much slower action than graphites and don't generate the line speed graphites do.

Biggest enemy of bamboos are storing them wet, damp or dirty and carefulnessly-challanged owners.

There are some potential ferrule issues which start out small but progress quickly and can snap the bamboo at the ferrule. Loose ferrules don't seem that hard to address nor dangerous if you catch them early.

There are a boat load of fishable bamboos out there, both old and new. With the older ones, you just have to go over them well making sure everything is tight be fore they are used. Seems like a good, ready to go bamboo rod can be had for just a few hundred. There are lots of old bamboos and not so many of them are they super rare/expensive models most desired by collectors.

Don't know much first hand, but I am pretty good with researching.
hailfly likes this.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:09 PM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

Here's what I'd use a bamboo rod for:

1. Whatever the hell I felt like using it for
Old 07-15-2013, 10:18 AM

So I took the old rod out this morning with 6wt line and a size 12 micro bugger and caught some gills. Some really nice ones at that. The line speed is way slow and I actually had a little trouble shooting the cast out. I don't know if it is to much line wt? Maybe I need to drop down to say 4 wt. Even with a smaller size 14 adams it just didn't cast well. I may just need way more practice if nothing else. But it is definitly a whole other type of rod compared to my graphite guns.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:41 AM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

I'd say drop the line down. To my knowledge, most boo rods are lower weights.