The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2013, 12:49 PM

muppetmullet81 is on a distinguished road
Default Bass Fly Gear

I'd like to know what everyone carries for fly fishing gear. My pack goes a little something like this.
9 ft 8wt Rod, or my 8ft 6wt Rod
single strap backpack
3 fly boxes, one just bass flies, one trout dry, one trout nymph
1 small spool of 20lb mono, 1 spool 15lb mono, 1 spool 12lb mono, 1 spool 4x tippet. for building leaders. The 20 and 12 are for building bass leaders, the 15, 12, and 4x are for trout leaders.
clippers
forceps
3 in Outdoor Edge folding knife
8 in S.O.G Seal pup knife (for fighting off tweekers)
Small head lamp
Small LED flashlight
emergency pack with extra batteries, matches, bandaids, bandage, asprin, mirror, water filter.
waterproof bag with licence and phone.
1 Cliff bar just in case.
Thats pretty much it. I do most of my bass and trout fishing by walking in and wading. And I can cover some miles pretty fast. Thats why I carry so much emergency stuff. You never know when you could trip and break an ankle and not be able to walk back out. As far as cloths I try and wear fast drying wading pants and have a long sleeve pull over rolled up when I know I am going to walk in deep. It seems like a lot but its really not bad. Plus I think those years in the service made me just used to being over prepared.

Last edited by muppetmullet81; 07-15-2013 at 03:10 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:07 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default Re: Bass Fly Gear

That's a lot of spools!

I've been experimenting with tying tapered leaders again, but if my goal is to carry the most minimal amount of gear I'd just take a spool of 4# maxima or vanish and just be done with it.

I carry only 1 fly box, with an assortment of mostly streamers -- buggers, carp flies, etc. and some foam bugs and soft hackles to cover most species I target (panfish/bass/brook trout). I leave extra fly boxes behind the seat of my truck in case I lose a fly box out there -- which is bound to happen
Old 07-15-2013, 02:29 PM

muppetmullet81 is on a distinguished road

It is a lot of spools but I should probably explain them a little better. I save old tippet spools. The small ones that you see guys carrying like 10 them around their neck on a lanyard. And I wrap my mono on them and then slap a rubberband around them and now I have 30 feet or so of leader material. In all they take up about as much room as a can of chew.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:51 PM

standman is on a distinguished road

For bass fishing, I will usually take with me a couple rods: currently a 6 wgt for streamers, and an 8 wgt for bass bugs. I'll use either a vest or sling pack, which I'll pack with a couple fly boxes containing an assortment of streamers (particularly buggers and cats whiskers) and bass bugs. In addition, this will carry the bug repellant, forceps, spare leader, tippet material, 1.5 magnifying glasses, a small flashlight, and a couple reels to pair with the rods. I carry a jacknife in my pocket.

If I anticipate trout or panfish, I would likely substitute the 6 wgt and 8 wgt rod/reel combos for a shorter 3-4 weight along with a 7 weight. I'll also plan my flies accordingly.

Either way, I don't take much. Of course, here in MA we don't have the same circumstances as you do in CO.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:19 PM

herocast is on a distinguished road

I usually only go out in my canoe since most of the ponds and lakes around here have very limited back cast room and the ones that do usually have people spin fishing in them.

I take an 8'6" 5wt and a 9' 8wt
4 small spools of leader material, 15, 20, 25, and 40. I like using the heavier stuff for larger flies and peace of mind when it comes to snags.
a lot of lighter premade leaders
1 box of floating bass bugs and poppers
1 box of streamers and clousers
1 smaller box of just buggers
1 small box of trout dry flies
forceps and clippers
Leatherman Wave
headlamp
a watch
polarized sunglasses
binoculars
camera
small speakers for breaks
the correct license for where I am
My "safety" supplies consist of: electrical tape, parachute chord, a lighter, dykes and needle nose pliers, and extra batteries

Some regular boat supplies: anchor, paddle, battery and trolling motor
and
my spinning rod and tackle box
Old 07-15-2013, 06:57 PM

ib me is on a distinguished road

My bass gear has been paired down a lot this yr. depending on the water i'm fishing my rod is a 9 1/2 ft. 7wt with floating line & a spare spool of sink tip line.1 roll of 8 lb mono for leader material,2 fly boxes 1 poppers 1 streamers . forceps,nippers,knife,sun glasses, hat,sun screen.1 bottle of ice water. If I'm using my 2wt its 8ft long ,1 box of flys is the only change to the gear
Dennis
Old 07-15-2013, 08:43 PM

greg_h is on a distinguished road

Mostly we all carry the fishing gear and emergency equip. and knives listed above - depending on our species and distance from the car.
I will add two items not listed.
1) a pair of corsage pins which are stuck in my hat brim - very useful for intangling wind knots.
2) an emergency whistle where it is easy to grab and blow (on the outside of my pack/vest, on my lanyard when fishing light, or attached to the canoe).
Old 07-15-2013, 09:10 PM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

8'0" 2wt, 9'0" 6wt, or 9'0" 7wt
Scientific Anglers System 2LA
Orvis Guide Sling Pack
1 spool each of 16lb, 12lb, 3x, 4x, 5x
Either of my 2 major fly boxes (one large for bass flies, one small for 2wt flies)
Basic first aid supplies (band aids, paper towels)
Knife
Zinger with nippers
Forceps
Scale
Glasses
Gloves (one pair for landing big fish and one for cold days)
Wire cutters
Leatherman tool
Line straightener
Electrical tape
Tape measurer
Old 07-16-2013, 01:59 PM

reidsisk will become famous soon enough

9' 9 wt or Sage Bass
Fly box of assorted flies depending on where im fishing.
A spool or two of line. Usually 10lb test and something lighter.
Pocket knife
Pliers

Thats it for me..
Old 07-20-2013, 10:59 AM

flymoron is on a distinguished road

5wt rod
6wf line
clousers, poppers, small box
10lb fluo tippet
furled bass leader
frozen water