The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2013, 07:01 PM

john montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the rough
Default A few carp

Got out with my buddy Travis Saturday...the water was dead calm and carp were ultra spooky, but we got a few nice ones!

Click the image to open in full size.

I got 9 or so, Travis around 5. Biggest fish was 19 lbs and almost all fish ate the hybrid. Been a good fly this year.

Hope everyone is out catching fish!

Carp on the Fly
Old 07-15-2013, 07:34 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Re: A few carp

Nice, my carp year has been poooooor so far ( as in caught 1 ). The rain has really been messing it up.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 07-15-2013, 08:30 PM

thechroniclesofmasi is on a distinguished road
Arrow Re: A few carp

I'm guessing your fishing in Montana?

Looking into carp fishing at the end of the month in finger lakes region NY, if you know any good spots please let me know.

Also just wondering what the Hybrid was? Picture maybe?
Old 07-15-2013, 09:10 PM

john montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the rough

Tough Geoff...high water is rough!

Chronicles, I am in OR...fish mainly the Columbia river. Sorry I can't help!

Hybrid:

mcnerney and hailfly like this.

Carp on the Fly
Old 07-16-2013, 01:42 PM

Wow, that is different than any other carp fly that I have seen in my research. Do carp eat lots of insects?

Thanks for the pic.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:46 PM

Rule #1 is know your forage...carp can and do eat just about anything, so often it is very specific to your particular body of water. On lake MI, i fish big 2 inch long bunny leeches (they eat gobies) but on my home water they eat mostly clams and nymphs (they dig the clams out and eat the nymphs that try to escape the digging). the hybrid has a worm tail (extended foot of a clam) but looks buggy/nymphy so you can fish to both of their primary forages with one fly.

it might not work at all on your water (though it fishes well on lake mi believe it or not). Totally depends on your forage. i've caught roughly 250-280 carp this year, and probably 70% of them have come on the hybrid.

Carp on the Fly
Old 07-16-2013, 06:15 PM

John,

Dude, I was on your blog just the other night and didn't even realize it, enlightening myself with the carp way. Cool stuff. I'm going to be fishing in Lake Ontario, and maybe some finger lakes, Seneca, Cayuga, etc. What would be some good patterns to throw in your opinion?
Old 07-16-2013, 08:45 PM

Sorry man, I just don't know that area! I would think crayfish and nymphs but don't really know. Sorry!

Carp on the Fly
Old 07-16-2013, 09:52 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

I like that idea. I've used a san juan style worm pattern, where I weighted the hook shank and caught one grassy. I've used backstabbers and hooked up (never offically landed). And, I've used legged stonefly nymph patterns and have also hooked up. However, my water is a mudhole... So, it's a bit difficult to fish...
Old 07-17-2013, 07:43 AM

nick k is a jewel in the roughnick k is a jewel in the roughnick k is a jewel in the rough

The carp in the reservoir by me just can't resist corn flies....except when I splash it in their face and scare the hell out of them.