The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2013, 07:27 AM

fishers_fisherman will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Dry/Dropper for panfish?

Just getting started in fly's myself but so far the local bluegill seem to hit on just about anything I toss out (even if it's too big for them to get ahold of). Caught the most on smaller fly's, didn't seem to matter whether dry or sinking. Had the most luck on black foam spiders with long white legs.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:49 AM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

I personally think that poppers are a pretty ineffective way of fishing for panfish. Yes, you can and will catch a lot of fish with them, but you will catch a lot of panfish on just about any fly. IMO, if you are going to use a floating fly for panfish, terrestrials work best.

I mainly use a simple #10 or #12 black foam beetle and it catches a fish every single cast. Other ant, hopper, or spider patterns will do the same.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:56 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Some of the folks will tell you that subsurface flies catch the bigger of the panfish than surface flies will, but I don't know if that's always true.

To me, small panfish poppers work almost identically to terrestrials of similar size -- in fact, I'm certain that some fish think poppers probably are some terrestrial bug species. How could they not?
Old 07-18-2013, 10:06 AM

dpreller is on a distinguished road

all good answers. i like small poppers 8 or 10 with a nymph under them pt or hares ear.but stimulators and madam x work well too. also this time of year terrestrial can be real good. beatles hoppers crickets etc. and a soft hackle underneath gives a little more motion which can be good. small brassies or zebra midges can be good too on the rare times when the get selective.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:07 AM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post
Some of the folks will tell you that subsurface flies catch the bigger of the panfish than surface flies will, but I don't know if that's always true.

To me, small panfish poppers work almost identically to terrestrials of similar size -- in fact, I'm certain that some fish think poppers probably are some terrestrial bug species. How could they not?
That's my point though. If fish are really looking for terrestrials, and you are trowing poppers to imitate terrestrials, you will be much better off throwing actual terrestrials that much more closely resemble the prey you are trying to imitate.

I have heard the same thing about subsurface flies, and I actually believe it to be somewhat true. In general, bream are primarily subsurface feeders and receive most of their prey from this are in the water column. They do of course eat tons of stuff on the surface, but I image that a big, skeptical bluegill would be more easily fooled by something he is more commonly eating.
turbineblade likes this.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:57 AM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light

In my honest opinion, when I read the title to the post, I thought, "man this guy is over thinking this." To me a dry/dropper rig seems a bit overkill just to catch some bluegill. But since you asked, I don't see why a small hopper or cricket, with any nymph as a dropper wouldn't work. Just don't see if having a huge advantage over just using a single fly.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:02 AM

flymoron is on a distinguished road

foam grasshopper size 6, rubber leg bead head nymph size 12
Old 07-20-2013, 11:37 AM

nc_cooter is a jewel in the roughnc_cooter is a jewel in the roughnc_cooter is a jewel in the roughnc_cooter is a jewel in the rough

Thanks to all for the responses. And yes I do tend to over think stuff. Guess it's the engineer in me. In all of my thought chaos, an occasional gem will be discovered. My wife often says that I require a lot of patience.
Mike
Old 07-20-2013, 09:24 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

I often use a dry/dropper when fishing for bluegill. I figure it increases my chances by offering them two tasty meal options instead of just one.

My go-to setup is a size 10 foam hopper with rubber legs, and any kind of nymph underneath. Copper Johns with small rubber legs are always a winner under a hopper.

-VB
Old 07-21-2013, 02:48 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Quote:
That's my point though. If fish are really looking for terrestrials, and you are trowing poppers to imitate terrestrials, you will be much better off throwing actual terrestrials that much more closely resemble the prey you are trying to imitate.
No, that's what I'm saying -- if you need to throw terrestrials, throw a popper because it probably imitates them . LOL.

No, I get where you're coming from. To me though, a piece of foam with krystal flash "legs" or pieces of round rubber doesn't do any better than a popper does to copy a beetle or something.

To me, nearly every fly pattern is "suggestive" more than anything else. Just look at the Chernobyl ant --