The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2013, 11:26 AM

muppetmullet81 is on a distinguished road
Default BATS on a Fly

I caught a bat this morning. The stupid thing hit my fly right in mid back cast. Hit the water like a ton of bricks to. Has this ever happened to anyone or did I just catch the stupidest bat in the world? Goofy lookin little guy thats for sure.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BATS on a Fly

it sometimes(seldom) happens....with ducks too
yellow wagtails often try to catch a dry floating on the water....
Old 07-17-2013, 11:48 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Nice mammal! I've not had one of those yet.

But -- I did get a mockingbird one morning casting a piece of yarn! Hilarious, I love those birds. And no, I didn't have a hook -- once he hit it he turned a promptly flew into the bushes again .
Old 07-17-2013, 11:56 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

I'm also in the duck club. Fishing a bread fly one day for carp and not really paying attention. Before I knew it, I felt a tug that almost ripped the rod out of my hand. Apparently, a duck had swam over for a snack.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:01 PM

swampdonkey has a spectacular aura aboutswampdonkey has a spectacular aura about

I bagged a swallow once on the San Juan with a #22 red hot. I think I got him mostly with the leader as he was all wrapped up. Watched him after the release and he went straight back to working the midge hatch.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:07 PM

muppetmullet81 is on a distinguished road

I watched my dad catch a gull one time when I was a kid. We were casting spoons right into a scool of shad that were being chased by wipers and a gull came swooping down and grabbed a castmaster instead of a shad. That was pretty funny. But the bat was pissed off and it wasn't easy getting him off the hook. He was hissing and trying to bite my forceps. I did manage to get him off the hook and back into a bush on the shore though.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:21 PM

standman is on a distinguished road

I've never actually hooked a bat, but I used to have them going after the fly especially around dusk. But it has been awhile. Unfortunately, nowadays we have fewer bats in MA because of the bat white nose fungus and we have an extraordinary amount of mosquitos.

Speaking about ducks, 30+ years ago my brothers and I were fishing a group of ponds that was newly opened for fishing. Almost immediately, one brother caught a duck, which squawked and carried on so that everyone came running. Ever since then fishing has not been allowed and the story of the incident continues to be told at the location's visitor center.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:31 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Caught a bat on the Battenkill River ! Took the fly on the way to the backcast. And it flew all over the place with my fly line until I realized what had happened! Not fun getting the hook out!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 07-17-2013, 03:13 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

I caught one once... while casting he grabbed the fly, crashed in the water.. I was going to try to get the hook out of it, brought it close, hooked my stats to the fly and looked, but it was only holding on to it... must have liked it too - he did not want to let go
Old 07-17-2013, 03:40 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

I've had them swoop to take my fly twice while float tubing a lake at dusk. And a fishing buddy has caught one at least once- maybe more.