The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By jbennett
  • 1 Post By jbennett
  • 1 Post By theboz
  • 1 Post By fredaevans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2013, 06:39 PM

jbennett is on a distinguished road
Default Fly fished for the first time today?

Been wanting to learn so I bought so gear and hired a guide on the Little Red River in Arkansas today. Got up at 4am and drove from Memphis and was on the water by 7am. My casting needs work but having a very successful first attempt at actually catching fish was great. Fished for a little over 4 hours and caught 22 or 23 rainbows and 1 brown. Having to adapt a little with stripping line due to birth defect with my right hand but its working ok. Need to speed it up a little though. A friend razzed me for fishing from a boat instead of wading so I'm going to let him take me wading sometime soon. He compared it to pulling bream out of a pond with a cane pole. Ha! All I care about today is I caught a bunch of fish.

---------- Post added at 05:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 PM ----------

That ? Was supposed to be a !
Old 07-20-2013, 06:45 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of
Default Re: Fly fished for the first time today?

J,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on a great start! That's a great day of fishing by anyone's standards. Well done!

-VB
Old 07-20-2013, 06:49 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a great first trip. Enjoy!
Old 07-20-2013, 06:49 PM

jbennett is on a distinguished road

Here is the brown. Click the image to open in full size.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:45 PM

okbow68 has a spectacular aura aboutokbow68 has a spectacular aura about

Nice I'd like to go there soon.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:09 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum and congrats on a great outing ! Fishing from a boat or shore doesn't lessen or improve the experience, it's you that do that! It's all good!
mcnerney likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 07-20-2013, 09:08 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Actually a float on a new river is a very good idea. Get the lay of the land, find out the 'walk in' places, etc. Never met a Guide that wouldn't give you the "straight scoop."

fae
mcnerney likes this.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:51 AM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold

Sounds like a great day on the water. I remember my first day of fly fishing, caught lots of fish..... thought this fly fishing thing is easy, then I went a couple weeks with never landing another fish. Welcome to the sport and the forum...

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 07-21-2013, 08:51 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Very smart move on your part to hire a guide for your first day on the water! Congrats on a great outting!