The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 6 Post By stl_geoff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2013, 01:37 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Different storm drain, different story, same ole non-sense

i dont know if this will turn into the splendor that my other storm drain thread is but thats creek is in pretty poor shape right now. I dont see much fishing in it in the near future.

SOooooo to combat that, there is another kinda sorta storm drain about 23 minutes from home. It flows into the Missouri River and when it floods, all kinds of nonsense fills into it. I have fished it in the past with my buddy Chris, the missouriflies.com guy, and only been defeated by grass carp and landing a few small white bass.

Saturday night I decided I needed to fish again after last weeks super smallie action. It was 95* degrees out with thunderstorms building over head. Lets go anyway!!! Geared up with the 11wt, a bottle of gatorade and off I go.

Click the image to open in full size.
Keepin it high class in the ditches with Ross, Lamson and William Joesph

i get to the creek and there are hardly any clouds, and lots of sun. I gear up and see lots of activity. A couple of common carp, a grassie here and there, some gar and a BUNCH of asian bigheads ( BOOOO!!! ) So the first fish I present to is a grassie in about 6" of water, it spooks but my line pulls back, a very brief fight later, I landed this..

First drum on the fly. Ok cool, there are lots in this creek. Atleast I know the skunk wont smell

I work my way up, scaring grassies I didnt see and catching every single spotted gar I cast at. While I generally let them unhook themselves mid fight, they are fun as all get out to catch. They ranged from 18-24" all night, and I probably caught a dozen of them. he's som e teeth of one that i did get in

Then i really found what i came for. In a small shallow riffle, it was loaded with grassies tailing. A couple of drifts and nothing. Hmm..swap to a foam mullberry and first drift, this monster of a grassie comes over and slurps it up, hook set annnnnd right out of its mouth it goes. @#$%^&*&^!!!!!!!! Oh well, try try again. Then this happened.

, you just need to watch, trust me.

As i was reaching to its mouth to unhook it, the knot explodes and off goes my first grassies. Poo.

So up the water I go, catching gar, falling down in the rock piles again spooking fish, you know par for the course. So im at a big poole, lots of feeing carp, cast across the bank to a big one( 30+" ) and start striping my fly back, it starts to chase...YES!! Still chasing...YEESS!!! and right up at the bank it takes off in the opposite direction, NO!!!! you were going to eat that!! About the same time that happens, i feel a ton of weight on the rod and i set the hook, and something big takes off!!! I mean just about got to the backing before it decided that was far enough. I turn the fish, gain some line back and bam...another huge run. After the 4th time it does this I hobbel down the bank with it 20 yards. Thats when I got the camera out and shot this...its a 2 part video, pictures to follow, but you should DEFINITLY watch it.

HOLY BATFLAPS!!!! Sucker was HUUUGGGEEE and totally awesome!! For compairison, The lamson is a Guru 4.0 that is 4.25" in diameter, and this is the size we normally catch in here

This guy was huge. 22" long and i couldnt get my hands around to girth it. So pictures, video and off it goes!!

BYE BYE!!!

About that time it started to get dark and this creek is hard enough to walk in when its sunny, so it was time to pack up.

I will be back again my friend! I will be back.

To add to the fun now, I get home and Im all pumped about this fish. Some simple math and it turns out its a 7.5-8.4 pound white bass. Sweet!! Lets see what the state record is............Sate record is 5 pounds 6 ozs....................I just caught and unknowingly released the potentional new state record white bass! DANG IT!!! but im glad at the same time so it didnt have to die. SO thats exciting but frustrating all at once. I guess I now have 2 fish I need to get reproduction mounts made for. Anyway, I will be back to this creek, hopefully you find my adventures as thrilling in this new local as the original.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 07-21-2013, 01:54 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Different storm drain, different story, same ole non-sense

Wow!

I love that you had all that action and by the look and sounds of it you were alone! The alone part is priceless but add to it all that fishing action and I know how happy you were.

I believe that I killed - filleted - and ate the Alaska State record Pacific Silver in 2009. Using the math method it was 26 + pounds. Might as well enter you bass on the 'Wish I Had Known The Record' thread, it's a sticky on General Discussions.

It's a bummer when that happens huh? You get used to seeing big fish and a record seems like just another big fish

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-21-2013, 02:13 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Great trip report, photos, videos and awesome White Bass! You must be walking on air after landing that beast! Congrats!

Old 07-21-2013, 04:07 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Yup...totally alone. Not even any joggers to see it. I will take it though. I need to work out a better way to do some less crappy camera work, maybe get some strikes on video as well. I know the gar will deliver.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 07-21-2013, 04:25 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

great post!
looks like a great trip, thanks for sharing
btw, love the looks of the black guru!
i recently bought a silver 3.0, which i like,
but the black is certainly more of a looker

casey

ARFE
Old 07-21-2013, 04:53 PM

The black guru is super sexy. I have 2 of them, size 3 and size 4. I got lucky though, I was looking for a real and the thought of a black guru popped into my head. Well they only made like 1000 of them in each size in 2012. Backcountry just to happened to have a couple of the 3 and 4s on clearance for 30% off, so I have them now haha.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 07-31-2013, 08:22 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Awesome story and a lot of great media to support it.

A cheap tripod might work for you in regards to more stable videos. Or perhaps just a $2 metal or wood stake with the camera taped to it that you can just stick in the ground when you stop and carry as a walking stick as you move.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:09 AM

I have a gorillapod for that camera....in my fishing bag with me. HA!! i just keep forgetting that I have it in there. I went back to this creek a week later and I caught hardly anything. It was totally different animal. I caught a normal sized white bass, saw a bunch that I missed, I had one that was very close in size to that big one swipe my fly right at the bank but it missed. Poo. I also caught a decent largemouth. No gar or carp though.

Storm Drain Bonefisher