The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2013, 10:41 PM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice
Default White flies are still hatchin'

The white flies have been hatching in the lower Susquehanna for a month now!
I caught a half dozen smallmouth bass and about 20 channel catfish with my fly rod tonight.

I used a 6wt with floating line and caught most on a White Wulff dry size 10. The rest I caught before dark on a size 8 black woolybugger.

My Helios 3wt hasn't returned yet. Maybe that's a good thing? I probably would have broke it with a big 24" channel cat.

Very strange, I didn't see any carp on the surface sipping the White Flies? But, every twenty feet or so ...... the small channel cats were on the surface eating flies. Wonderful sight in the dark (full moon, so a little dark)

Tight Lines,

Click the image to open in full size.

a couple more:

can you guess which is the real fly?

Last edited by rickf; 07-26-2013 at 02:47 AM.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:00 AM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice
Default Re: White flies are still hatchin'

Those flies are HUGE! What the hell are they? They look like white frogs.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:57 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
Those flies are HUGE! What the hell are they? They look like white frogs.
Those would be Ephoron Leukon aka White Flies. When they start coming off here in Western PA, the last part of the sun sinks behind the tree lines and a headlamp is necessity because the hatch really comes off once the sun is long gone just as you see in rick's photos. The flies are so big and with them being white, it can look like a blizzard at night. I tie mine in 10-14.

This reminds me, I need to make a trip to the stream this week or weekend to see if they've been coming off in my neck of the woods. I get about 7-14 days of them if I'm lucky. Timing is everything.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:35 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

I've got them all over the place in my piece of Pa! There so heavy that it looks like snow on most nights! Can't leave my outside lights on because the little Fly Catcher birds dive bomb them and end up coming in the house when I go in! Friday night was running around the house trying to catch 2 of the birds ! What a disaster! But the Whites are great for the night fishing !
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser