The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2013, 11:11 AM

tsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nice
Default First gar on the fly

Got my first this morning..

Wasnt targeting them and got him on a small popper but I can scratch it off my list.

Now if only I could hook onto the carp that were all around....
Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-24-2013, 01:27 PM

dpenrod is on a distinguished road
Default Re: First gar on the fly

nice! looking for my first carp of the year too. have never had it, but some folks say gar is actually pretty tasty. good-looking rod/reel combo too.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:55 PM

dryfly256 will become famous soon enough

Good looking fish congrats!
Old 07-24-2013, 03:10 PM

tsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpenrod View Post
nice! looking for my first carp of the year too. have never had it, but some folks say gar is actually pretty tasty. good-looking rod/reel combo too.
I know down here in Texas folks eat gar balls, but I haven't ventured out and tried them.

Those carp are gonna be the death of me. I'm close to just jumping in the water or using a cast net to catch them. I can't get them to take anything I throw at em. just gotta keep trying i guess.

funny thing about the set up I used this morning. I couldn't figure out why my casting felt so weird all morning. Line kept tangling up, it didn't feel right; I just figured that I needed to keep practicing. finally at the end of the day while putting everything up, I noticed that I was using my 8wt mangrove rather than my 6 wt mangrove. all morning long I was tossing a 6 wt line on a 8 wt rod!
Old 07-24-2013, 11:47 PM

650flyguy has a spectacular aura about650flyguy has a spectacular aura about650flyguy has a spectacular aura about

When I see gar at the aquarium I think how much fun they be to throw poppers at. I bet the take is vicious.
Awesome you had the experience.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:50 AM

ditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura about

One of these days I hope to find some gar to throw at too. Congrats.........About 3 weeks ago I spent several hours throwing at some nice carp. I did miss at least 2 takes but I came up fishless other than a small SMB that happened along. These carp can be tough sometimes.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:23 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Congrats!

They are super easy to catch around here. Especially when its really hot outside. 99% of the time they will eat whatever fly to toss in front of them. if that fly happens to be white , red and alittle bit of flash, they will eat it 100% of the time you toss to them. I tend to not really set the hook on them, i just play with them for alittle bit, give em some slack then they pop off.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 07-25-2013, 11:33 PM

gigem2012 is on a distinguished road

Nice fish! Mind if I ask where you're fishing?? I've been trying to find some good sight fishing for carp myself. I live in Texas as well. Thanks!
Old 07-26-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditz View Post
One of these days I hope to find some gar to throw at too. Congrats.........About 3 weeks ago I spent several hours throwing at some nice carp. I did miss at least 2 takes but I came up fishless other than a small SMB that happened along. These carp can be tough sometimes.
those carp are some smart fish. I'm gonna try again this afternoon at a new place with some new tips I just learned at an orvis talk regarding them.

we'll see.

good luck with your carp fishing.....I know I could use some luck.

---------- Post added at 03:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigem2012 View Post
Nice fish! Mind if I ask where you're fishing?? I've been trying to find some good sight fishing for carp myself. I live in Texas as well. Thanks!

no problem man.....this was caught along Mason creek out in Katy,Tx.

you can find them all along the edges just cruising or under some of the foliage. they're pretty willing to investigate any fly on top or something like a egg sucking leach that sinks super slow
Old 07-27-2013, 11:36 PM

argail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsubeta04 View Post
Got my first this morning..
Wasnt targeting them and got him on a small popper but I can scratch it off my list.
Now if only I could hook onto the carp that were all around....
Click the image to open in full size.
good catch! leopard camo ) never caught on popper...