The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 09:48 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What is your one fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sep View Post
Bones are all that, for sure. And, like you, it's the sight fishing that makes the game for me. I was in my element wading the flats, stalking. Very visual. And it doesn't hurt that each hookup is a trip (or two, or three) deep into the backing.

Reds come as close as anything, though I admit to not yet chasing carp. I suspect wading for the golden bones in Michigan's U.P. might be fun. But, think about it. Michigan or the Bahamas? You decide.

Mike
I imagine the bones would be and from everything I've ever watched on them, they look fantastically fun.

As to your last part...I've caught many a carp on the fly and while very very fun, you are exactly right....Michigan or tropical paradise - Im going with the latter
Sep likes this.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:05 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

well, I want to fish all year so that leaves out silvers and steelhead (bummer)

Brown trout would have to be my pick, although brookies are a close 2nd

if I have to eat what I catch, brookies hands down
Old 07-25-2013, 11:29 AM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

Although I've only caught mostly small ones and just one of decent sized, Jacks in FL have certainly been some of the most fun I've experienced on a fly rod.
Sep likes this.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:29 PM

bmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nice

Largemouth bass for me! love seeing the explosion on topwater and love tying up crazy looking bugs for them
Old 07-25-2013, 01:35 PM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbailes View Post
Largemouth bass for me! love seeing the explosion on topwater and love tying up crazy looking bugs for them
If you love topwater explosions, you should try fishing for barracuda. Sounds like someone threw a cherry bomb into the water.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:14 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Impossible question! Too many fun fish!
Smallies and Shad for acrobats (Tarpon as well!). Stripers , Reds , Bones for first runs! Carp for pure strength! Largemouths and Peacocks for you never know what's going to happen next! Big Bluegills and Pumpkinseeds for just pure fun! And the list goes on sorry but I like anything I can catch on the fly because they all have their own set of merits!
nick k likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 07-25-2013, 02:43 PM

muppetmullet81 is on a distinguished road

Its true that its an impossible question. There are so many fun fish to catch on any rod. But since this is a fly fishing forum. I have never yet fished in the ocean. I've never yet fished for steelhead. And my bucket list is a mile long just like most of yours. But its a fun question. Its the kind of question that makes people think a bit.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:06 PM

john montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the rough

I am a carp guy and all...love 'em, spend most of my fishing time chasing them and have caught carp in 8 or 9 states now. Fun thing about carp, they are so different from state to state/body of water to body of water that you can get the entire sight fishing gamut down with just one species. meat eaters on lake mi, finicky clam fish on the big C...mulberries! You gotta love carp.

That said...I'd go Redfish. Only chased them once, but loved it. Bottom line...MUCH easier to catch than carp, MUCH more aggressive...seeing that mouth suddenly loom and engulf you fly is awesome. Plus, you can catch them on both subsurface, and on poppers and the like. And...the environments are so cool. flats, marshes, grass...you see dolphins and rays and lots of cool things when fishing for reds (manatees!). I'd go reds. hands down.

but I dream of catching a big nasty black drum!
von behr likes this.

Carp on the Fly
Old 07-25-2013, 03:15 PM

When John says something other than carp, we all need to get our butts out of our chairs and go catch some of those. They must be the real deal.
von behr likes this.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:41 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

False Albacore. If you've caught one on the fly, you already know why
Sep and theboz like this.