What is your one fish

muppetmullet81

Reaction score
There are so many fun fish to catch on a fly rod. Sometimes I don't know what I like the most. If you could only catch one type of fish for the rest of your life what would it be. For me I think its largemouth bass. Having one of those big ol water pigs hit a fly is about as much fun as I have ever had.

swhite1989

Reaction score
If it had to be something I have caught before, it would be smallmouth.
If I get to choose something I "think" would be awesome, it would be something with teeth, possibly Musky, Snakehead.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I love fishing for bluefish.
They're mean, they kill for fun.
They'll devour everything in front of them, then puke it up and go back for more.
They got teeth like razor blades that will destroy your flies and will even bite through your fly line if it get in their way.
They battle until the end and when you finally land one their eyes stare at you full of hate and you realize that if you make the mistake of getting too close, they'd gladly take your arm off or at least a finger.
There's no more worthy fly rod quarry.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SiqZ2dAc3w"]BlueFish Feeding Frenzy - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

tex

Reaction score
I love largemouth or big feisty steelhead, or even brows. But if I could only catch one type of fish it would be bluegill on a 1wt full flex rod. I would rather catch 100 bluegill in a few hours than 4 or 5 largemouth in the same amount of time.

chipgerrard

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No question........ STEELHEAD!

Nothing beats a cold winter morning hooking into one of these rockets!

nrp5087

Reaction score
The brown trout. I dont think any other fish in the fresh water could top the intelligence of this creature and therefore makes a great challenge and adversary.

littledavid123

Reaction score
LOL...I think my answer is a real cop-out, but it is truthful. If the water is cold and clear, all that fish needs is a tail and I will be on him like a tick on a fat dogs butt.

Dave

brookfieldangler

Reaction score
Wow...what ridiculously hard question but after a bit of thought, I am going with reds.

While the fish is fun once it's hooked, it's everything else that fishing for reds entails. Flats, flat boats, visually spotting a target, long casts to a small window, and quite often a visual take. On top of that, let's not forget the amazing variety of coastal wildlife one typically sees while fishing for them.

I am sure bonefish might be similar but I've never fished for them so I can't say for sure.

Flyfisher for men

Reaction score
Gotta say trout. Flyfishing culture is built around them and it means trip to really neat places. I love bluegills, though. They are bread and butter.

Sep

Reaction score
Wow...what ridiculously hard question but after a bit of thought, I am going with reds.

While the fish is fun once it's hooked, it's everything else that fishing for reds entails. Flats, flat boats, visually spotting a target, long casts to a small window, and quite often a visual take. On top of that, let's not forget the amazing variety of coastal wildlife one typically sees while fishing for them.

I am sure bonefish might be similar but I've never fished for them so I can't say for sure.
Bones are all that, for sure. And, like you, it's the sight fishing that makes the game for me. I was in my element wading the flats, stalking. Very visual. And it doesn't hurt that each hookup is a trip (or two, or three) deep into the backing.

Reds come as close as anything, though I admit to not yet chasing carp. I suspect wading for the golden bones in Michigan's U.P. might be fun. But, think about it. Michigan or the Bahamas? You decide. :rolleyes:

Mike