The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jaybo41

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2013, 09:42 AM

muppetmullet81 is on a distinguished road
Default Rod Tip Repair

The Tip of my 8wt came off this morning. It didn't break off just came un glued I guess. Any suggestions on the best glue to use to put it back on.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:54 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rod Tip Repair

I had that happen to me once in the field. Super Glue worked for a short time then failed. I then used Zap A Gap and haven't had an issue since then.

I'd imagine X minute Epoxy would be OK too.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:38 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
I had that happen to me once in the field. Super Glue worked for a short time then failed. I then used Zap A Gap and haven't had an issue since then.

I'd imagine X minute Epoxy would be OK too.
It is a common practice in rod building to attach the tip top (top guide) with a special type of adhesive. This adhesive holds pretty firmly in general but is able to be loosened after application by heating the tip top.

The purpose this serves is to allow broken tip tops to be replaced without having to break the tip section of the rod or replace it. That being said, its possible that the adhesive could have become loose due to natural heat or just wear and tear.

If you wanted to, you could just buy a stick of tip top adhesive (they look like glue gun sticks and only cost about $4) and fix it very quickly. All you have to do is melt the end of the stick, dab it on the tip of the rod, stick the tip top on, make sure its straight, and let it sit for a minute.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:28 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that Nick. Learn something new every day here.
nick k likes this.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:42 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with Nick. The tip top adhesive little red stick that you melt and appl is the best. Easier to line it up before it hardens. $2.99 at Walmart.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser