The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2013, 07:26 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some good small LMB streamers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post
I'm glad to see Jack's flies mentioned so quickly in this thread -- I really like his patterns and wish I could have met him.
Jack was quite a character. I spoke with him a few times at shows and the times when he was a guest at our club. Once I was lucky enough to have a private tying session with him where he taught me to tie his floating sand eel.

Here's SBS on a basic flat wing. It's missing an important step though.
Rhody Flat Wing
After you tie in the white bucktail in step 2, you need to add a "pillow" of dubbing over the wraps. This "pillow" helps to hold the hackle stem in place to keep the tail from fouling.
You can use anything for this dubbing. I use the fluff that is stripped from the hackle stem.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:27 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I've had some decent days on Gartside's sparrow pattern -- only tied smaller than he does z met him.

Those diamond hair minnows are excellent -- craft hair? Link to recipe?

---------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:50 PM ----------

I'm interested in that Rip!
I agree I wish I could have met such a unique fellow. Maybe even joined in on a giraffe float trip with him haha.

Diamond hair comes in packs like dubbing. Basically it's really long stands of dubbing like material if I remember correctly. Think you can buy it on john Rohmer's site.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:59 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Those diamond hair minnows are excellent -- craft hair? Link to recipe?
They are pretty simple, but getting the head right is a bit tricky. You can get Diamond Hair from John at HIS WEBSITE. He is VERY prompt with shipping.

I forgot to include a Foam head minnow here. Basically I just took a DHM and added a piece of foam.

Click the image to open in full size.