The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By randyflycaster
  • 1 Post By nick k

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2013, 07:08 AM

fq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nice
Default Weedless fly/jig?

I live on a golf course (don't know why as I am not a golfer), but the upside is I have all sorts of ponds to fish in right out the back door. The downside is that in the summer the banks are hemmed in with eel grass. I'm equally happy tying up a 1/16th jig on an ultralight spinning rig or tossing a #8 fly on a 4 weight and getting a bit of fishing in after work. I like tying both jigs and flies. The problem is the grass. Anybody have a pattern for jig or fly that won't snag on this stuff?
Thanks
Old 08-03-2013, 08:15 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all
Default Re: Weedless fly/jig?

I don't know if you tie your own flies, if you do you can buy Metz weed guards. They work fine, but they're a bit of a hassle to tie it. Lay down a good base of thread and then lay the weed guard on top of the shank and tie it in.

Randy
fredaevans likes this.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:23 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

You might try something like a bendback, or some of the "flats" type flies typically used for Redfish or Bonefish, with a 2 prong weed guard.

Both styles of flies will have an inverted hook point, which aids in reducing snagging. You can add some stiff material, such as crimped nylon, that is popular with large saltwater or Pike flies, as an underwing on the Bendbacks which will aid in supporting the wing, and act as a snag guard somewhat. Just don't get carried away with the stiff material on such small flies, or they'll be fish proof too.

Here's a couple of Bendback style flies I've tied. The first is tied with yak hair, which is not what you want for such grass. You'll want to use a stiffer material such as bucktail. The hook used is a discontinued Owner brand intended for plastic baits, but works well for Bendback style flies, and gives you a real good idea of how a bendback should look. BTW, this hook is made with this bend in it. There were Bendback hooks made at one time, but most folks bend their own. The older Mustad stainless 34007 was a popular hook for bending, as the stainless was soft enough not to break. Newer hooks, which may have better tempering (harder metal) may break when attempting to bend them. When I tie Bendbacks, I don't even bother bending the hooks now, as this style of fly can still be tied on a straight shank hook & get as good results.

Click the image to open in full size.

Here's a more typical Bendback, but you can see the similarities.

Here's another possible way to tie these, using an offset plastic worm hook. This hook is a VMC 6319, (available in black nickle & red finish) which has a longer front section than most such hooks so it's ideal for tying flies. The first 2 flies are tied with all synthetics, and a stiffer material could be used within this type of fly to aid in preventing snagging. The primary issue would be hook sizes are not usually available as small as you might want for this type of hook.

This is not a good picture, and the fly is not the best, however it's the best picture I have that shows a 2 prong mono weed guard. This has become my preferred method for adding weed guards to most flies. I use Mason Hard mono for such weed guards, ranging from about 16 lb test up to about 40 lb, depending on the fly size I'm tying.

Here's an article that may give you some additional ideas.
Weed guards, Bravery, and Fly Fishing

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 08-03-2013, 12:50 PM

fq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nice

The inverted hook is a great idea. I was just going to tie two strands of twenty pound Rio or Mason as a weed guard, but that would get in the way of the bluegills. But something like an inverted bugger or clouser might work.
Thanks
Old 08-03-2013, 03:37 PM

nick k is a jewel in the roughnick k is a jewel in the roughnick k is a jewel in the rough

Here are some bend backs I tie for bass:

And here is a link to a video that shows you how to tie a double weed guard.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:04 PM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future

If you are dealing with eel grass a good suggestion is to use the bend back and material covering the hook patterns mentioned above. Full mono weed guards tend to hang up on eel grass as the other patterns not so much. For floating weeds and such the mono guards are fine.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser