The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 01:32 PM

missin44 is on a distinguished road
Default Carp - Never tried it, pointers?

I'm thinking of trying carp on a fly rod soon. Any pointers on techniques, presentations, etc?

Thanks
Old 08-07-2013, 01:48 PM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Carp - Never tried it, pointers?

Check out "The Carp Thread".
The Carp Thread
Old 08-07-2013, 03:44 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

In addition to that, be prepared to be frustrated and humbled by the golden bone.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 08-07-2013, 04:12 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

I played around with them when I was in Indiana. They really were like bonefish. They congregated in a shallow flats section of a local lake. I wade fished for them. I never got serious about it as I was more interested in the Smallies, but if you could put something like a stonefly nymph in front of them you had a chance. They were spooky and line shy. You had to be stealthy. It was a lot like wading for bones in the Keys. You needed to drop a nymph in front of them, then just slowly jerk it on the bottom. They were fun once you hooked one, they're a strong fish. Nothing spectacular, but a good fight. Not to sound sacrilegious here or anything, but if you just want catch one to see if its worth the trouble? Here's what you do (and this is guaranteed).
Step one: Buy some canned corn and chum the water for say two days before you fish.
Step two: Order some Gulp corn (put them on a number 8 hook)
Step three: Cast a bit of Gulp corn into the chum line and hold on.
Not exactly high society, but it works. Or just go with a nymph.
Good luck and have fun.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:35 PM

john montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the rough

Try 'em...they are awesome on the fly. challenging, big, and a really interesting method. I love 'em, spend 90% of my time with a fly rod in hand looking for carp.

My rules that I try to follow.
1) Know your forage
2) Don't cast until you can see their head
3) You gotta make 'em move (to detect the take)
4) To catch more carp, cast at less.

Good luck!

All carp threads need a picture:

Click the image to open in full size.

Who wouldn't want to hunt, spot and stalk a fish like this in 2 feet of water, then convince it to eat an artificial offering with no scent (carp feed mostly by scent). awesome! Good luck man...
fysh and dakotakid like this.

Carp on the Fly
Old 08-07-2013, 06:28 PM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about

now that is a fish, don't care who you are, that's a fish.

I was with a guy this past weekend and he mentioned that a good time to go for carp is when they are feeding, otherwise its almost impossible to get 'em to hit the fly. We did not see any while we were out, but he caught one the next day and he mentioned he found 'em when they were feeding. Works in Middle TN anyways.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:53 PM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

John Montana's carp photos make me drool!

Found the following cottonwood seed fly on-line, but haven't tied it yet. Suspect it will be more effective when our cottonwood trees are dropping seed. Might try it before then anyway.

"Marabou Cottonwood Seed Fly - FAOL"
Old 08-08-2013, 09:29 AM

jml43 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by john montana View Post
Try 'em...they are awesome on the fly. challenging, big, and a really interesting method. I love 'em, spend 90% of my time with a fly rod in hand looking for carp.

My rules that I try to follow.
1) Know your forage
2) Don't cast until you can see their head
3) You gotta make 'em move (to detect the take)
4) To catch more carp, cast at less.

Good luck!

All carp threads need a picture:

Click the image to open in full size.

Who wouldn't want to hunt, spot and stalk a fish like this in 2 feet of water, then convince it to eat an artificial offering with no scent (carp feed mostly by scent). awesome! Good luck man...

I wish carp would get that big in the lake and areas I fish. Most are in the 6-12 range, some get over 15, but they a few and far between.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:12 AM
Banned

chipgerrard is on a distinguished road

Don't waste your time. What a garbage fish.

The hardly ever bite and even if they do they barely fight and are a slimy stinky fish. The are right up at the top of the list with the Goby for fish that we should kill
Old 08-08-2013, 10:26 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipgerrard View Post
Don't waste your time. What a garbage fish.

The hardly ever bite and even if they do they barely fight and are a slimy stinky fish. The are right up at the top of the list with the Goby for fish that we should kill
Seriously? You're going with that? I think I'll disagree.