The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2013, 10:42 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough
Default Carp difficulties

Fishing carp in muddy water is a pain. Aside from finding a new waterhole, does anyone have any pointers?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-09-2013, 11:41 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Carp difficulties

Quote:
Originally Posted by delopez View Post
Fishing carp in muddy water is a pain. Aside from finding a new waterhole, does anyone have any pointers?

I have limited experience. I used stone fly nymphs with rubber legs and shiny bead heads (prince nymphs, pheasant tails etc.) and some small bone fish flies. I will say there is a way to up your odds, or so I've heard. Hie thee to Bass Pro or Cabelas etc. Gulp lures are great for spin fishing. I love them. They're rubber baits that soak in a foul smelling goo and they work beautifully. But they now have a spritz bottle of the aforementioned goo. Since carp feed mainly by smell, giving your fly a spritz can't hurt. I've not tried it (yet), but talking to a friend from back up in Indiana he swears by it for smallies and carp. Its only a few bucks and it can't hurt.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:40 AM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice

I have the same problem! Carp on a Fly are only good in clear, shallow water.

Every time we get heavy rain, the Susquehanna gets brown like chocolate milk! But the local lakes are always clear?

I'll try some carp on a fly when things settle down. Only problem is: I catch 100 beautiful Bluegills (on top) every time I fish a lake! I just can't pull myself away from this wonderful fishing for maybe a carp or two? on heavy tackle!

I may have found Nirvana? You could have it also if you have 'gills around and a UL fly rod!

"If my fly fishing was any better, I'd think the deck was stacked"

---------- Post added at 11:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by fq13 View Post
Gulp lures are great I love them. They're rubber baits that soak in a foul smelling goo
Same here!

I catch hundreds of Bluegills and White Perch and Crappie with my 3 wt fly rod! My secret fly is a modified "Green Weenie" some call it a "San Juan Worm" LOL When I say modified, I mean really modified! Max modified?

Rather then green, I like white or pink. and rather then chenille, I use soft plastic (rather then plastic, I use Gulp Alive) and rather then a nymph hook, I use a small size 16 thin wire scud hook. (almost invisible)

So, after a lot of research, I nose hook a 3/4" white or pink Gulp Alive "fish fry" soft plastic bait (a Gulp Alive 1" minnow comes in second) on my fly rod with no weight. I tie some killer, realistic nymphs ...... but this will outfish any feather fly in the world! 10 to 1, maybe 20 to 1!

I still think of myself as a purist, elitist fly fisherman ...... it's just that I catch a lot more fish then anybody else?

For carp, try a Gulp corn? It will stay on the hook, and it looks and smells like the real thing! ....... or you can cast all day with a carp fly?

All the guys who catch trout in the "fly fishing only" areas are secretly putting a small piece of Gulp on their fly when nobody is looking! Gulp spray is OK, but a small hunk of Gulp is so much better!

Please keep this quiet! Fly guys should only use feather flies!
Old 08-10-2013, 07:30 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

ROFL! I'm off to Wally World today. I'll buy a pack of the fishfry. I got up at 6:30 today only to get no love from the bluegills on these "beautiful" jigs I tied last night while trying to learn the ins and outs on my new vice. Ungrateful varmints! I'll learn them! You sir are the voice of Satan, but one of those things on the 4wt seems like it might be the answer.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:03 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Many, many years ago, I used anise oil, which was a popular scent to add to flies when targeting carp. Was very messy too unfortunately. It was not something you wanted in a fly box. Even extracts (food flavorings) worked sometimes but was not as concentrated.

We used to make dough balls for carp & catfish that included strawberry flavored Jello powder, flour and molasses in the ingredients.

"Fishbites" is another artificial bait, like Gulp that should work well. It's very popular with saltwater bait anglers, and is available in various scents & rates at which it dissolves.

If you desire to target carp with nothing but fur & feathers, then clearer, shallow water is the way to go as Rickf has said.

In my youth, I admit that I would try about anything to catch a few fish, even dunking earthworms & nightcrawlers on a bare hook at the end of my tippet. I caught a lot of Bluegills & Pumpkinseed Sunfish on live crickets & hoppers impaled on a light wire Aberdeen hook or a dry fly hook back then.

Now, I stick to "flies" with the fly rod & use the other stuff with spinning or baitcasting tackle.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 08-10-2013, 12:50 PM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fq13 View Post
You sir are the voice of Satan,

fq,

LOL! maybe it is "satanic" but you can have a devilish good time with your fly rod when you catch a fish on almost every cast?

If you get tired of catchin' on every cast, well then just tie on one of your home tied flies? that should give you a rest.

Another tip for you: when you go to Wally World, get some (3" Floating Trout Worms .... Gulp Alive, in pink) and cut into quarters, then angle cut the middle to make a tapered tail fly. This is the ultimate dry fly! It floats high in the water and with no stinkin' float-ant! Any weary trout or bluegill will hit this every time!
Old 08-10-2013, 01:37 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

Alright, so I really meant on the fly, not bait. Although it sounds fun, I'm after them on the fly. I've heard of people using indicators, but I'm not a big fan of indicators either. What about types of flies, certain colors, etc.?

Old 08-10-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delopez View Post
Alright, so I really meant on the fly, not bait. Although it sounds fun, I'm after them on the fly. I've heard of people using indicators, but I'm not a big fan of indicators either. What about types of flies, certain colors, etc.?

In my limited experience bead head nymphs in larger sizes (12s, 10s) stone fly nymphs with the rubber legs and small gray or brown bendback bonefish flys. Just any thing you could put in front of their face and bounce off the bottom (note, I was fishing a lake, I've never gone after them in moving water). The reason the whole scent discussion came up is that carp are like catfish and sharks. They feed using smell more than sight. This puts you at a disadvantage. This is doubly true as they are wary, so if you line them you're done. you need to put that fly in that narrow window where they are feeding. I never put a whole lot of time into it, but they were fun when I messed around with them.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:22 PM

Location: The Old Dominion. But can be found exploring a blue line
motorshooter is on a distinguished road

Carp in muddy water or murky water? In muddy water carp are in their element. They love to blow the shallow bottoms looking for crawfish, bugs, grubs. Try the same in a fly pattern and put it on the nose when you see them tailing or they begin to move out to another shallow area.

In murky or clear water they are a bit skittish. You have to wait for them to move to you. You have to master the long cast and be on target with your fly. I like to use a rust colored woolly bugger or the same in a bead head. I have also taken carp on a crawdad pattern. The key is stealth, be super silent and don't wade around a lot, get to a spot where you see the carp moving into, then cast to the lead fish.....

-Good luck!
Old 08-10-2013, 04:55 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

The carp that I chase the most are in the exact type of water that you describe. It is a mud flat with chocolate milk (or darker) colored water. It is VERY hard to see the carp, nothing like chasing them on a clear sand flat. I have to look for shadows, tails, and mud clouds in the water. Polarized sun glasses are a MUST! As for flies, Ive found that slower sinking flies work the best. Instead of dumbbell eyes, use bead chain eyes or no weight at all. Cast within a foot or so of where you think the carp's head is and let it sink. More often then not they will suck it in. Like others have said, it also helps to be stealthy, do not wade if you don't have to, even when you are walking on the bank try to be quiet.

-Chase