The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 7 Post By half fast

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2013, 08:58 PM

half fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nice
Default A pond, an evening, and bluegills

It's been a rough summer.

The last time I fished was July 2nd, and I've needed to go fishing desperately.

On July 7, my wife's dad passed away. Age 95, he died of cancer after a year of struggle. Since his passing, my wife and I have spent many many hours dealing with all that goes with such a loss, first planning two funeral services and traveling out of state for the second one and the burial. Then came the lawyers and banks and insurance companies and investment firms and phone company and cable company and credit cards et cetera ad infinitum. At the moment my house looks like a scene from American Pickers, with much of his furniture and other possessions scattered randomly around our house and garage as it awaits disposition to other family members, to various charities, to friends, or to the junkyard.

Two weeks after dad's passing my wife and I took our son to his college orientation in Pensacola. While we were away, someone came through the back gate onto our property and stole my motorcycle. Thankfully that's all they took, but on top of everything else I'm now dealing with the cops and the insurance company. And I no longer have a bike to ride to relax.

So I need to fish.

And we're having a very wet summer. It's been raining every time I had a spare hour or two to fish for weeks now. Not that I'm complaining; we need the rain, and our pasture is finally healthy enough to sustain the horses and cut down on the hay bill.

But still....

I need to fish.

So finally this evening the weather was nice and I didn't have anything else demanding my time. I headed out to a secluded pond, set back in the woods near Lake Wales. It was a beautiful evening after a hot day, and my wife came along for company.

I took along my old Garcia Conolon 6 weight. Now if you know these rods, you know they're nothing great as fly rods go. But this was my first fly rod, a gift from my dad when I was, oh, maybe 13. The action sucks, and I'm doing good if I can make a 40' cast with it, but I've caught many fish on it over the years.

So the pond was beautiful, calm as glass, and there were fish. Caught a few bluegills and missed more than I hooked, but that's okay. Missed a cute little bass that came clear out of the water to hit my chartreuse popper. My wife walked in the woods, took in the scenery, and watched a small rabbit grazing.

It was growing dark after an hour or so, and we hiked back out in the twilight.

A nice evening.

And at least I got to fish.

I've been needing that.

======================================
Jesus said, "Go fishing!" (Luke 5:4). He said nothing about monthly reports, budgets, cost variances, manpower planning, or orders forecasts.

Last edited by half fast; 08-10-2013 at 09:00 PM. Reason: 42
Old 08-10-2013, 09:04 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: A pond, an evening, and bluegills

so sorry for your loss....
glad you found some time for your self.
gills on a pond are both fun and relaxing.
oh, hope u get ur bike back soon.
good vibes being sent ur way

casey

ARFE
Old 08-10-2013, 09:29 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, you guys are having a rough summer. Sorry to hear about your father-in-law passing and to top that off someone steals your bike! Well at least you found some time to get out and relax a little. Best wishes for getting all the issues settled and moving on with your life!

For the second summer in a row we haven't been getting much rain, so again the hay prices are sky rocketing. Thankfully, where my GF boards her horses the hay is included in the riduculously low price of $75/month/horse, so we aren't complaining!

Larry

Old 08-11-2013, 05:52 AM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about

Sorry for your loss(es), either one is bad, both just make it worse if possible. I used to settle estates for a living, so I know the frustrations you have, take your time with it, hire a good atty to help. They can take a few bumps out of the road but may add another bump as well.

And go fish some more. It made you feel better the other day, so if it feels good, do it.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:47 AM

half fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Thankfully, where my GF boards her horses the hay is included in the riduculously low price of $75/month/horse, so we aren't complaining!

Larry
Wow! For $75/month, we might ship our horses to Wyoming.

Hay, feed, farrier, vet,... A horse is the most efficient animal God ever created when it comes to converting money into manure.

======================================
Jesus said, "Go fishing!" (Luke 5:4). He said nothing about monthly reports, budgets, cost variances, manpower planning, or orders forecasts.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:30 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

Hey Half,

I hope the rough parts of your summer have come to an end and you'll have more days like that to enjoy with your wife. That sounds like a great little spot to go sort things out.

My thoughts are with you and your wife.

Take care,

-VB