The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2013, 08:21 PM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Just reads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I like this book for smallmouth..............and I have this one too.

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.
Looked at both on Amazon, very good reviews. $38 versus $12. Is the first one worth that much more
Tight fisted Scotsman
Old 08-14-2013, 06:29 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie O'Neill View Post
Looked at both on Amazon, very good reviews. $38 versus $12. Is the first one worth that much more
Tight fisted Scotsman
The Harry Murry book came out in 1989 so it might appear dated to some people. I'm not sure that the fish would agree
The Will Ryan book is more in depth in my opinion.
Bob Clouser wrote a book on smallmouth fishing as well, but I haven't read that one.
Eddie O'Neill likes this.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:17 AM

swhite1989 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zum View Post
Thanks for all the replies.
New to tapatalk and I haven't found the editing function yet.
I'll try to find the books in town...I have to travel out of town for the other,wife won't let me watch movies)
Im pretty sure that if you tap and hold your comment it will allow you to edit in tapatalk. It does on my iphone atleast.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:10 PM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice

Bob Clouser used to fly fish smallmouth in the very same waters I fish! I would see him all the time, usually guiding.

The lower Susquehanna, just upstream of Harrisburg used to be a smallmouth paradise! I purchased his book and almost every pic is a spot that I have fished!

The bass are gone now, but there are lots of carp in the same spots. Good with a fly rod in that shallow water.

I like to read a lot, and I mostly like to read surf stripers with a fly rod....... but as Nick pointed out, I really like to go after "strippers" rather than "stripers"

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:29 PM

half fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nice

I can recommend Black Bass & the Fly Rod by Charles Waterman.

Black Bass & the Fly Rod: Charles F. Waterman: 9780811716307: Amazon.com: Books Black Bass & the Fly Rod: Charles F. Waterman: 9780811716307: Amazon.com: Books

Lots of practical stuff intermixed with some great story telling and anecdotes. Nothing about strippers, though, neither largemouth nor smallmouth.

======================================
Jesus said, "Go fishing!" (Luke 5:4). He said nothing about monthly reports, budgets, cost variances, manpower planning, or orders forecasts.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:58 PM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by half fast View Post
Nothing about strippers, though, neither largemouth nor smallmouth.
It's hard to find small mouth strippers. Natural selection I would think.....
Old 08-23-2013, 10:11 PM

half fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
It's hard to find small mouth strippers. Natural selection I would think.....
Could be. I guess I always assumed they were a northern variety, since we don't seem to have them here in Florida...

======================================
Jesus said, "Go fishing!" (Luke 5:4). He said nothing about monthly reports, budgets, cost variances, manpower planning, or orders forecasts.