The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2013, 10:32 AM

lotech_joe has a spectacular aura aboutlotech_joe has a spectacular aura about
Default Chasing Perch

I think I'll go chase some perch tomorrow with my 7'-5/6 weight, Eagle Claw Feather Light loaded with a Medalist 1494. and a DT floating line. What dry flies would you suggest? I've got wet flies figured out. The occassional bluegill, crappie or bass would be OK too.

---------- Post added at 10:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 AM ----------

Do you think these will work?

Click the image to open in full size.
baseman1 and mridenour like this.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:16 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chasing Perch

Those should work . The Yellow Perch near me go nuts for any type of Gurgler fly this time of year especially in lighter colors! The Bluegill , Bass and Crappie like them as well !
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 08-14-2013, 01:01 PM

greg_h is on a distinguished road

Your floating bugs will be good for the bluegills and small bass for sure. A 5/6wt rod could handle bigger bugs too (the ones in the picture look like size 12), you could go as large as size 8. If you are tying them yourself, use brighter foam if you have it, so you can see the fly better.
Perch seldom feed on top, and prefer minnows, so I suggest a small white and silver wet fly, or streamer about size 10 for the fly and 8 for the streamer. A simple streamer with a silver body, white marabou wing topped with a bit of peacock herl works perfectly. You could use bright red thread to simulate the gills. A small bead at the head wouldn’t hurt either – just watch too keep your loops open so the fly doesn’t hit your rod on the cast.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:23 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

I guess it depends on the area you fish or the lakes you concentrate on. I fish a dozen diffrent lakes near me and all have a good topwater Yellow Perch bite in the evenings and early morning . Funny thing is I'll be targeting Crappies with bigger Gurglers and have to fight to keep the Perch from hitting the fly on top! Later in the fall streamers and wet flys are the key to consistent Perch fishing by me.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:18 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

For what it's worth, Tie up some big soft hackles: 3906B #8 or #10, Dyed hungarian partidge, CDC thorax, floss of dubbed squirrel body and a little tuft of dyed squirrel and CDC as a tail. Hang them in the surface film and "sudden inch" them with pauses and the occasion roll cast - sort of a caddis presentation without skating.

Teko Bugs are good too.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:16 PM

mirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nice

Yellow perch? I'd go subsurface. Around here they're suckers for anything with some red and/or yellow on it. When I'm actually trying to catch them (get a bucket of them for fish stew like once a year or so) I usually use little 1/32 or 1/64 microjigs in white, red, yellow, or some combination of the above. Slow strip retrieve between 4 & 6 feet down -- tug-tug-tug an inch or two each time, rest, repeat ... pretty much a fish every cast, once you find a good group of them.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:27 PM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice

I agree with post above! Both Yellow Perch and White Perch feed on minnows.

I have great success with a beadhead mini streamer (or a 1" soft plastic? if you use that sort of thing with a fly rod?). With a feather fly, I think white marabou is the best.

In lakes here in PA, the perch feed on top almost every night! Almost like sight fishing for bonefish at Belize?

These pix are from tonight, Aug 14, all caught with my 3 wt from a float tube.

I just purchased a Philips "Air Fryer" and it should arrive tomorrow. Deep fried fish and chips using no oil!! Healthy food? So I kept 10 perch for a test tomorrow! Usually, I C&R but today I kept a couple to fillet!
theboz and baseman1 like this.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickf View Post
I agree with post above! Both Yellow Perch and White Perch feed on minnows.

I have great success with a beadhead mini streamer (or a 1" soft plastic? if you use that sort of thing with a fly rod?). With a feather fly, I think white marabou is the best.

In lakes here in PA, the perch feed on top almost every night! Almost like sight fishing for bonefish at Belize?

These pix are from tonight, Aug 14, all caught with my 3 wt from a float tube.

[IMG]http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss5/raf99_2009/DSCN1371_zps925cbd83.
I just purchased a Philips "Air Fryer" and it should arrive tomorrow. Deep fried fish and chips using no oil!! Healthy food? So I kept 10 perch for a test tomorrow! Usually, I C&R but today I kept a couple to fillet!
You are a lucky man! White Perch are one of my favorites! Used to get many in brackish water on top as well as the depths and they were one of my favorite meals! Enjoy!!
Old 08-15-2013, 05:52 PM

lotech_joe has a spectacular aura aboutlotech_joe has a spectacular aura about

I was on the water at 5:30 this morning. Before I went to the area that I knew held perch, I wanted to fish some stick-ups that have held crappie in the past. So I rigged my ultra-lite spinning rod with a beetle spin. I fished that area for 15-20 minutes without any success. So I lit out for my perch area. I knew it would take some time to get there with my electric motor so I planned on using that time to rig my fly rods. WHAT THE HECK? I left the fly rods in the van and it was too far to go back and get them. So I fished the ultra-lite spinning rod for the rest of the day. First fish was a 15 1/2" largemouth that I had to return to the lake because he was 1 1/2" short of the slot. Long story short, I came off the lake at 12:30 with 10 perch, 2 small bass & 3 crappies. All of them are now cleaned and invited to dinner. It was a good day, and maybe next time I'll remember my fly rods instead. I felt a lot like Homer Simpson but it was still a good day.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:00 PM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice

Lotech,

I caught my fish on my fly rod (even if I was using Gulp Alive minnows), but you caught on a spin rod ....... you bad boy. You should only keep fish when you catch them with a fly rod!! For God's sake, lotech, this is a fly fishing forum?
But if you cook the fish healthy (with no oil) then a spin rod is OK!

Here are the perch I caught yesterday:

My Philips AirFryer arrived today. Crispy wonderful fish and chips with NO OIL!!
diamond rush likes this.

Last edited by rickf; 08-15-2013 at 10:27 PM.