The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2013, 05:01 PM

cbob is on a distinguished road
Default Czech Nymphs for bluegill

I have become interested in czech nymphing. After looking at some of the bright flies they use, it would seem that they would be ideal for bluegill. Anyone tried these flies and rigging?
rickf likes this.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:35 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Czech Nymphs for bluegill

What fly won't a bluegill eat is the real question you should ask yourself.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:35 PM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future

Welcome to the forum! Czech nymphs work great for Blugills as do just about any fly the right size. They are not to particular.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 08-16-2013, 09:13 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

I fish mostly soft hackles for bluegill...but lately I've used some Sawyer's killer bugs as well....which aren't too far removed from czech style nymphs.

And yeah, I've probably caught them on almost every kind of fly at some point or another.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:10 AM

rickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbob View Post
I have become interested in czech nymphing. ideal for bluegill ?
cbob,

I have been doing it for a while now! I put the "czech" "chez" nymphing on steroids!

The "czech" style is a long rod with short line bouncing a heavy fly near the bottom. Usually trout with a current, but it works great with lake bluegills as well.

When the 'gills aren't on top, they are at the edge of the weed lines. I tie some killer tungsten bead head nymphs that are designed (no tail) for a small Gulp bait on the back. The mid wiggle action is like a joined fly, and it will make bluegills hit with no hesitation! (some fly rodders won't use that sort of thing ..... to each his own)

I also use the regular chez nymphs for 'gills. They make a neat lead body with thread lines! All the fly shops carry them.

That's where the 10' rods are great. You hold the long rod out, and bounce the tiny fly in front of the fish.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:12 AM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickf View Post
cbob,

I have been doing it for a while now! I put the "czech" "chez" nymphing on steroids!

The "czech" style is a long rod with short line bouncing a heavy fly near the bottom. Usually trout with a current, but it works great with lake bluegills as well.

When the 'gills aren't on top, they are at the edge of the weed lines. I tie some killer tungsten bead head nymphs that are designed (no tail) for a small Gulp bait on the back. The mid wiggle action is like a joinedet fly, and it will make bluegills hit with no hesitation! (some fly rodders won't use that sort of thing ..... to each his own)

I also use the regular chez nymphs for 'gills. They make a neat lead body with thread lines! All the fly shops carry them.

That's where the 10' rods are great. You hold the long rod out, and bounce the tiny fly in front of the fish.
Saw those lead bodies on the net a while back. Very cool looking.! But my two shops don't have them! Where are you getting them?
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 08-18-2013, 04:09 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

If you have the patience to fish them, what I've found works the best for subsurface BG is a fly that slowly drifts down thru the water column (the slower the better). You don't apply any action per se, just let it settle and slowly sink.

I think it's because that's what best imitates the way the food items the fish eat.

One thing that is very simple and effective, although maybe not exactly fly fishing, is to use the small plastic baits designed to be used for ice fishing. Just hook them on a hook, throw them out and watch them sink. If you are fishing fairly calm water, just watch the indent your leader makes on the water. You'll see a twitch when the fish takes your "fly".

Here's a picture of the sort of plastics for you guys who don't get a chance to fish thru the ice -

http://www.jandscustomjigs.com/image...663346709.jpeg
rickf likes this.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 08-18-2013, 12:35 PM

rickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pszy22 View Post
One thing that is very simple and effective, although maybe not exactly fly fishing, is to use the small plastic baits
pszy,

So I'm not the only one? LOL Trout Magnet makes a "mini magnet" that is very effective. Gulp Alive in a "fish fry" or a "waxie" will get hit every time it hits the water!

"Forgive me, for I have sinned with this fly rod blastfamy" I still love to tie flies? ...... they sit in my fly box just in case I get the urge?
Old 08-18-2013, 01:16 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Rick,

It was maybe 30 or 40 years ago. I bought these small white rubber waxworms with a red head that were mounted on a gold hook. I think I got them at Netcraft, they were like 10 for a dollar. You would just throw them out, wait and watch. If there was a bluegill around, he/she would take it. You could maybe catch 20 - 25 fish before the worm would get so chewed it would fall off.

I ice fish quite a bit, for 5o years I always used real waxmorms or mousies (these are a little tailed maggot for you guys who don't see ice). Several years back I started using just plastic bait, I think they outfish the real thing. They literally quiver in the water, they just look alive.

have fun,

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 08-18-2013, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pszy22 View Post
Here's a picture of the sort of plastics for you guys who don't get a chance to fish thru the ice -

http://www.jandscustomjigs.com/image...663346709.jpeg
pszy,

I watched the video, and that shows a poorly hooked plastic (almost falling off the jig). I have enough sense to tie some wire or a staple piece on those tiny jigs to keep the plastic on!! And that's their promotion? LOL most of the bluegills rejected that poorly hooked plastic!

You gave the best advise with the "no weight" tiny plastic and a fly rod. I still think that Gulp Alive (not plastic, real protein) will outfish any of those ice fishing plastics!

I was out again today, and I still like to experiment? I used every combination known to man, but the no weight small hook (thin wire scud, size 14) and a nose hooked Gulp Alive "fish fry" will constantly outfish anything ..... even live bait!

These are just my observations, no put down of that company. I'm glad that I'm not the only guy who uses tiny plastic with a fly rod!!

Tight Lines