The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2013, 08:42 PM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Finally hooked my first carp!!!!

Well done, it's great to go after something a bit different. I did occasionally fish for Carp n the U.K. During the summer months. Used a fly called the dog biscuit, basically spun deer hair. Great off the top action
Old 08-22-2013, 12:56 AM

john montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the rough

Congrats! Nice work!

Carp on the Fly
Old 08-22-2013, 08:04 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Finally hooked my first carp!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird View Post
I have come to love carp. I feel sorry for those who scoff because theyre really missing out! Theyre hard to catch so they are a real reward when they do bite. And they get really large! They live in the ugliest and prettiest places on earth.
I was lucky enough to tussle with this guy today

Click the image to open in full size.
SAY HAY BIRD! Saw and just responded to your PM. Answered my own question on your present location. This is a good thing you're that far away, the SPCA is looking for you for raising so much havoc with Rogue Steelhead.

This guy was a 'machine' with a fly rod in his hands! Speaking of which, the fishing, and catching, is some of the best in years here on the upper Rogue at the moment.

Fred Evans
Old 08-22-2013, 09:21 AM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

Congrats.....I have yet to hook up. I have a honey hole ...but it is 400 miles away. Trying to find some carp closer to home....
Old 08-22-2013, 02:58 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

Do you have anything else? Catfish? Drum? I think that catfish and drum are a similar fight. I've had a lot of fun catching them both.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:54 PM

ib me is on a distinguished road

Congrats on your first I'm still trying been close a couple times but no Cigar
Dennis
Old 08-22-2013, 07:02 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Hookin' 'em is the trick!

Keep doing that, and you'll be just fine.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:31 PM

mrp1 has a spectacular aura aboutmrp1 has a spectacular aura about

Good for you Tsubeta! Keep trying; it will happen for you.

Mr. P.'s Blog
Old 08-29-2013, 07:07 PM

tsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nice

Update:

No carp to report on here: I managed to hook onto one last week and for the first time was able to see an aggressive carp chase the fly and eat it.

The three hook ups before this one I'm talking about were different; the bites were all pretty heavy and immediate.

The one I hooked onto last week was such a subtle bite that it reminded me of hooking onto flounder (or fluke???) out in saltwater.

if I had not been able to see it chase the fly, I probably would not have been able to set the hook. sadly, it took off after about 30 seconds.

I'm sad to say that the tournament I entered in is over on Saturday and due to my work schedule (back to school) I won't be able to try and hook onto any in the last couple of days leading up to the deadline. Oh well, it's been one hell of a summer chasing these fish and have made me a much better fly fisher (or so I'd like to think)

tight lines,