The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2013, 02:58 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Gators on the Fly!

Oscars are very aggressive and fight like Bluegills on steroids! Had a big one in Biology class that ate anything! Love the colors of the ones you catch in the Miami canal system. The orange and black are so beautiful!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 08-23-2013, 03:22 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Gators on the Fly!

If only you could catch and send me a couple live ones...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-23-2013, 05:38 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Keep as many as you want. They are a plague down here. People bought them for their fish tanks, then when they got too big "released" them. They grow as big as blue gills, about two pounds, but are more aggressive, so they out compete the natives. They are fun on the fly or a light spinning rod, but please eat as many as you can. They are a destructive non native species.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:07 PM

half fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post
I have had enough experience with stray animals and know that feeding them only keeps them coming back so I didn't give the fish to him despite my desire to see if my theory was right. In the end, that was probably the right move since he could have been destroyed if he became to comfortable around people.

The problem is that you don't know whether some fool has already been feeding the gator. Since so many people do, you have to use caution around any gator you see.

I really don't know why Florida considered it so important to restore the gator population. When I was a kid, gators were around but weren't really a problem. I grew up swimming in the local lakes and never worried about an attack, but now it's a serious possibility.

Last I knew, and this was several years back, Florida had one gator for every twelve humans in the state. That's just way, way too many.

======================================
Jesus said, "Go fishing!" (Luke 5:4). He said nothing about monthly reports, budgets, cost variances, manpower planning, or orders forecasts.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:26 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

Because of the climate, just about any pet disposed of alive in Florida can flourish. Even fish dumped in canals can grow to huge size. At one time, albino clarius ( walking catfish ) were a trafic hazzard. All the ciclids thrive in canals. Oscars, Jack Dempseys and other aquarium fish can grow bigger than bass in the same waters.
And then there is the introduced reptile problem. Various constrictors can grow to well over 20 feet.
I spent my weekends in the glades hunting and fishing for 20 years. The first lesson learned ? Watch where you step.