The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jbird
  • 1 Post By john montana

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2013, 02:17 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough
Default Today's carp report

So this is definitely aimed at anyone who fishes lakes for carp where there are a lot of clam. John Montan a, this is definitely aimed at you As I type this post, I'm on the side of a lake. I've thrown backstabbers, rough dub crayfish, large bead eye nymphs, and others. However, the one fly that I don't have is the hybrid.

Anyway, I've actually been able to visually see the carp trailing today and have thrown the flies in their face tons of times. Anyone have some suggested patterns or tactics?

Here's what I found on the bank.

Click the image to open in full size.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by delopez; 08-24-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:51 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Today's carp report

Their really unpredictable as to what they will eat. I'd guess Ive hooked between 30 and 50 carp over the last few years and 90% have been on a damselfly nymph or dragonfly nymph. They are very wary, so I tie my flies wth a fair amount of realism. I have had pretty good luck on carp that are lazy and sunning by carefully pesenting one of these nymphs in front of them. If theyre actively feeding, they take them pretty boldly.
They can be frustrating!... All the more rewarding!
mcnerney likes this.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:21 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

They were today but it was the first time I've seen then tail in the lake. I've had better luck in the river with grass carp. It was definitely frustrating.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:43 PM

john montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the rough

Hybrid or San Juan worm...in my experience when they are feeding on clams they usually sort of cruise along until they smell some clams. Carp have an incredible sense of smell. Once located, they dig em out and crush em. The issue is being able to visually imitate a clam. I have tried patterns with shells, but I think when carp are using visual cues, they often are looking for the extended foot of a clam, hence the San Juan and the tail on the hybrid. The beauty of the hybrid is when still, it could be taken for the foot of a clam, but when dropping or moving it looks like a nymph. Carp that dig clams out of the bottom are really used to seeing and eating escaping nymphs.

Other that I would say downsize. People often point to backstabbers and larger crayfish flies or buggers for carp, but I fish really small stuff. They gaper size 8s are about a size 12 scud hook in actual size. I would fish a small backstabber or just a generic nymph pattern in a 10 or 12 (on a stout hook). They don't always want meat or crayfish, but they will nearly always take a well placed nymph.

And the sometimes they just won't eat anything. Hah...
ditz likes this.

Carp on the Fly
Old 08-24-2013, 09:53 PM

I've been using size 8 bonefish hooks. I will post pictures of the flies, soon. No matter what, I definitely want that hook point riding up!

---------- Post added at 09:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 PM ----------

What about headstand worms?