The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2013, 12:40 PM

ditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really nice
Default Re: Lesson for other novice carpers

Some interesting thoughts......I guess it could have been the arm motion but it did not seem likely to me at the time since I had walked up to the area seconds before. I did watch for a few moments to make sure I was seeing what I thought I was seeing. I began stripping line and immediately they flushed. There was no line yet in the air as I had not began false casting. What I did not mention is that there is paved biking/walking path along this river that has a moderate amount of traffic throughout the day and night. The river does get a lot of fishing pressure but I don't think the carp are pressured that much and there is a lot of movement along the river and they should be used to at least some movement. I really do believe that it was the reel clicking. These old SA reels have a very distinct click that verges on what I would describe as 'loud'. But I could be wrong though I seldom am...hehehehe
Old 09-02-2013, 06:03 AM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold

I think they're all female because they just cruise by, linger, and just aren't happy with anything we offer.
yonder likes this.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:53 PM

ditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really nice

Could be all females.....might try a $20 bill tied on the hook.
nick k likes this.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:49 PM

paflyfisher is on a distinguished road

Ditz you spooked them with your reel had this happen a lot when i first started fishing for carp. Try to keep line off the reel so you dont have to make any noise when starting to cast, good luck
Old 09-03-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Ditz you spooked them with your reel had this happen a lot when i first started fishing for carp. Try to keep line off the reel so you dont have to make any noise when starting to cast, good luck
Thanks for that response. I was beginning to believe that my diagnosis was incorrect. I did change reels and the reel that now has my 7wt line is much more quiet but does still have very subdued click. I may look for a reel with no click when pulling line off the reel. .....I am starting to believe that carp won't hit a fly and fly fishing for carp is a conspiracy to get fellas out of the trout streams and waste time on the water chasing uncatchable fish.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:29 AM

paflyfisher is on a distinguished road

You don't need to get another reel, Just have all the line you need off the reel before you start to look for fish that way you can make a cast quickly and quietly. Give it some time you'll catch one
Old 09-04-2013, 11:57 AM

quijibo has a spectacular aura aboutquijibo has a spectacular aura aboutquijibo has a spectacular aura about

You could also partially pull the spool off the body of the reel to disengage the drag. Silent line removal. Just remember to click it back in before casting so it doesn't fall off...
Works on my old leeda rimfly.

Good luck!
Old 09-06-2013, 09:26 AM

Let's see.....heat of battle...casting to a 20# carp....buck fever......I am sure I won't forget to push the spool back on....hehehe.......always remember ...if it can go wrong, it will. It is a good thought though.. The reel that now holds the line is a lot less noisy and I doubt it will now be a problem.

It is still a great excuse to buy a new reel.
mridenour and quijibo like this.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:32 AM
mridenour

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditz View Post
Let's see.....heat of battle...casting to a 20# carp....buck fever......I am sure I won't forget to push the spool back on....hehehe.......always remember ...if it can go wrong, it will. It is a good thought though.. The reel that now holds the line is a lot less noisy and I doubt it will now be a problem.

Reminds me of a time I called a nice buck across a field right to me. I was hiding behind a tree and emerged with my bow drawn and fired at the dumb deer. My call got caught in the bowstring and caused my bow to pull to the left embedding my arrow deep into a hickory tree while my call flew up at a high rate of speed and attempted to embed into my forehead.

The deer hopped away courtesy of Murphy's Law.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:02 AM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by innes View Post
I think they're all female because they just cruise by, linger, and just aren't happy with anything we offer.
This post is hilariously funny..........and so sadly true.......

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton