The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2013, 07:13 PM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough
Default Lesson for other novice carpers

I went hunting some carp on the river flowing thru the local city. I found some on the far side of the river that I had no hope of reaching. I waited around for a while but the carp seemed glued to the far bank. I went a mile further down stream and walked about a half a mile of the bank and saw no fish until the walk back. I found some muds. I could not see the carp but I knew they were there so I started stripping line off the old SA reel manufactured by Hardy which is a click pawl reel. By the time I made the second strip the whole bunch of carp flushed and a large section of the rock flat became a mud because all of the several fish flushed. I was at least 20' from the water edge and at least 40' from the closest fish. I went to the house and took that reel out of service for the carp hunt. I will begin a hunt for a silent reel. I would never thought that a reel click would spook these fish. Just a thought for other novice carp hunters
mridenour likes this.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:43 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lesson for other novice carpers

I have never fished for carp, but it is definitely on my list, that is an interesting observation, thanks for the tip!

Larry
yonder likes this.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:33 PM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

Having caught only one carp on the fly, I'm definitely not an expert, however are you sure they didn't spook for a different reason? I find I hard to believe the click of a reel would spook them.

Happened to go after carp this weekend this weekend again. Was only able to find them in the shallow water just after sunrise. Unfortunately they weren't interested in anything I tossed their way, so I'm interested in any tips you or anyone else can provide.

I wouldn't look for a different reel until the carp experts (Joni, John Montana, etc.) weigh in on this topic.
hailfly likes this.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:52 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

I agree with dakotakid. While your assessment is possibe, it's pretty unlikely. Carp are extremely sensitive to vibration and visual movement. Walking (even quietly) can alarm them. They always spook in groups. When one fish panics, the whole school freaks. I would look more at the motion of your hand pulling line off the reel than the sound of the pawl.

Theyre funny fish. I have chased the same carp in the same spots and sometimes I cant get within 100 feet of em. Sometimes I can walk right up and cane pole em.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:27 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

I don't think it was your reel that spooked the fish. There's nothing wrong with a silent reel, though!
Old 08-27-2013, 11:35 PM

john montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the rough

I don't worry too much about noise...probably should but I talk with my fishing partners, etc. I pay a TON of attention to silhouette and vibration though. It could have been the reel, know way to really know. Good luck!

Carp on the Fly
Old 08-28-2013, 08:20 AM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

Possibly try a new deodorant.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:46 AM

fishers_fisherman will become famous soon enough

Wow, happy coincidence this was the first thread when I pulled the site up this morning. Tried a new creek last night, tailwaters of a large nearby resevoir, and nearly soiled my new waders as I swear what looked like about 50 1-2' long carp came cruising right around my legs as I walked. I've never targeted these before, definitely never seem them in such big groups, but thought, what the hell, let's see if I can catch one. Didn't notice anything at all spooking them. I was standing maybe 10' away from one big group, dropping every kind of fly I had right on top of them, or dragging them through the group. Tried poppers on top, olive/black wooly bugger right through, silver/red clouser right through, and a few bead head nymphs. Nothing at all grabbed their attention. None seemed phased that I was standing in the water right next to them either. I saw at least 3 or 4 more huge groups like this, some cruising, some just hanging out in pools at the bends. Heading back out tonight to see if I can catch a few.
That being said, is there anything in particular fly-wise that seems to get more action from carp? Or should I just keep a couple M-80's in my fly box?
Old 08-28-2013, 09:56 AM

mrp1 has a spectacular aura aboutmrp1 has a spectacular aura about

Yes, you can scare them with reel noise but not normally. They are much more likely to scare from boot noise, from seeing you, or from the line moving over them during a false cast.

---------- Post added at 07:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishers_fisherman View Post
Wow, happy coincidence this was the first thread when I pulled the site up this morning. Tried a new creek last night, tailwaters of a large nearby resevoir, and nearly soiled my new waders as I swear what looked like about 50 1-2' long carp came cruising right around my legs as I walked. I've never targeted these before, definitely never seem them in such big groups, but thought, what the hell, let's see if I can catch one. Didn't notice anything at all spooking them. I was standing maybe 10' away from one big group, dropping every kind of fly I had right on top of them, or dragging them through the group. Tried poppers on top, olive/black wooly bugger right through, silver/red clouser right through, and a few bead head nymphs. Nothing at all grabbed their attention. None seemed phased that I was standing in the water right next to them either. I saw at least 3 or 4 more huge groups like this, some cruising, some just hanging out in pools at the bends. Heading back out tonight to see if I can catch a few.
That being said, is there anything in particular fly-wise that seems to get more action from carp? Or should I just keep a couple M-80's in my fly box?
Learning to target the correct fish is more important than the fly pattern.

Mr. P.'s Blog
Old 08-28-2013, 10:18 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

maybe a large Bird of Prey flew over at the same time?

Carp are unique in their behaviors. You can throw a bead head off the dock at Lake Powell and catch carp till the cows come home...or you can make one quiet cast on a pod in a river and they spook like a herd of elk that just saw a pack of wolves.

I have caught many carp but usually when I am not targeting them so I have not made a lot of conclusions on this fish...except that I do not like to target them.

Maybe when I pick up golf.