The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2013, 09:54 PM

rickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the rough
Default Labor Day weekend fun!

I had so much fun this afternoon with my float tube and my 3 wt. Mid 80's with no wind. Absolutely perfect for a fly rod!

I stopped at WalMart before I hit the lake. Just like a recovering heroin addict, I wanted to get some different flys so I wouldn't reach for the Gulp plastic! LOL

I must have caught 100 bluegills today. Best fly (and the most fun) was a Elk Hair Caddis size 14. At WalMart it's two flies for $1.96 ....... and that China made fly still held together with those chewing 'gills!

The bluegills would gather on top and I could see the fins sticking out of the water (almost like sight fishing for bonefish?) The Caddis dry would land on the mirror like water, I would give it a twitch or two, and bam! a hit on almost every cast!

All the fish were released, even though many were big enough to fillet!

Tight Lines

Click the image to open in full size.

WalMart flies (probably made in China, but very cheap!) the top right caught 100 bluegills and is still together! The bottom right, I removed the flash (the fly has much better action without that junk)
Old 08-31-2013, 04:46 AM

nc_cooter is a jewel in the roughnc_cooter is a jewel in the roughnc_cooter is a jewel in the roughnc_cooter is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Labor Day weekend fun!

Looks like you had a great afternoon. Perfect beginning for Labor Day weekend.
Mike
Old 08-31-2013, 08:49 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Rick: Congrats on a great day with some beautiful fish!

Old 08-31-2013, 09:00 AM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

Its hard to beat that kinda fishin! Great report
Old 08-31-2013, 09:35 AM

mirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nice

Nice. Sounds like a ton of fun.

About cheap flies -- do you know about flyshack.com? (Disclaimer, I have no personal interest in the business, it's just where I buy a lot of stuff!) It's a b&m fly shop in upstate New York that also does a brisk web business in flies & accesssories. They have an utterly tremendous selection of patterns and sizes, at very good prices (comparable or a little better than your WalMart score). I'm sure most if not all of the flies are tied in Asia, but the quality tends to be pretty good. I'm a big fan of their stuff for patterns I find annoying to make myself (painted poppers, tiny dries, anything with clipped deer hair or more than half a dozen ingredients, etc.).

Now, gotta find me a pond full of bluegills ...
Old 08-31-2013, 11:32 AM

rickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirabelasunshine View Post
About cheap flies -- do you know about flyshack.com?
Thanks so much for the tip! I checked them out, only $.89 a fly. Wow! that is even cheaper than WalMart!

It seems that every fly I tie is pretty close to a woolybugger! I think I'll get a few from flyshack, and see how it goes. I was caught in a "woolybugger" rut!
mirabelasunshine likes this.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:16 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

I wish bluegills came in a ten pound size!! Wouldn't that be a blast?? Great report and nice fish!!! I love the way a bluegill will sneak up on a fly and stare at it for a few moments, and then smash it!! Lots of fun!!

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 08-31-2013, 07:23 PM

mirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nice

Quote:
caught in a "woolybugger" rut!
Easy to do, since they work so well. Seems like there isn't a freshwater fish that swims that won't take one, at least some of the time.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:07 PM

Saturday:

Even better than yesterday! I must have caught 100 white perch and maybe 50 bluegills.

A little rain for a hour or so, but it felt good to me (I left my rain gear in my car trunk). I used my 3 wt with floating line and a 3X leader with 5X tippet.

It was suggested to me to check out "fly shack" I did, but I wasn't sure what flys to buy? I was checking the internet, and some guy from the UK used CDC and Elk hair ....... that's all! I tied a couple, and I thought "why use any Elk hair at all" so I tied some twisted CDC on a hook with a dub head. Wow! killer action in the water. I tied some with a tungsten bead, and some without.

Another calm, no wind, day. The white perch were going crazy on the surface. I caught non stop the entire time I was there. All small, but that's why I love a UL fly rod the best!

white perch on top:

more white perch, this is what it was like all afternoon:
mridenour likes this.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:24 PM

enolaeagle is just really niceenolaeagle is just really niceenolaeagle is just really niceenolaeagle is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickf View Post
Saturday:

Even better than yesterday! I must have caught 100 white perch and maybe 50 bluegills.

A little rain for a hour or so, but it felt good to me (I left my rain gear in my car trunk). I used my 3 wt with floating line and a 3X leader with 5X tippet.

It was suggested to me to check out "fly shack" I did, but I wasn't sure what flys to buy? I was checking the internet, and some guy from the UK used CDC and Elk hair ....... that's all! I tied a couple, and I thought "why use any Elk hair at all" so I tied some twisted CDC on a hook with a dub head. Wow! killer action in the water. I tied some with a tungsten bead, and some without.

Another calm, no wind, day. The white perch were going crazy on the surface. I caught non stop the entire time I was there. All small, but that's why I love a UL fly rod the best!

white perch on top:

more white perch, this is what it was like all afternoon:
Are you fishing Lake Marburg?

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...