The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree13Likes
  • 11 Post By kcjerryd
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels
  • 1 Post By mcnerney

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2013, 10:17 PM

kcjerryd is on a distinguished road
Default Son in law's first fish on the fly

My new son in law has recently taken up fishing so I gave him a fly rod that I had. It's nothing special and the price was right for him. He put new backing and line on it. Got some instruction from Bass Pro and has tried a few times.

I took him crappie fishing this morning and had him bring the fly rod. The crappie weren't cooperating so I had him rig up the fly rod to see what he could do. I'm definitely not an instructor but I did manage to help him out and he started casting better.

We decided to try the crappie again but they still weren't cooperating. Decided to get the float tube out so he could try that with the fly rod. Low and behold, he caught his first fish on the fly!!!! It was a small large mouth. Needless to say he was pretty proud. He's pretty motivated right now. I think he may become a fly fisherman. I'm glad to help him.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:25 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Son in law's first fish on the fly

That's great, you are doing a good thing by helping him to learn and enjoy a new way to have fun. Since this is the first post from you I have read I'll say.........................

Welcome to the forum, you sound like a good fellow.

Ard
jaybo41 likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-01-2013, 09:40 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats! I'm sure he is grinning fron ear to ear having landed that first bass on a fly rod.

Larry
jaybo41 likes this.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:09 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum and kudos for helping to introduce another angler to fly fishing. Sounds like this may be the start of many enjoyable moments for the two of you.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:54 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Son in law's first fish on the fly

Does anybody not remember their first significant fish on a fly rod?
Old 09-01-2013, 12:59 PM

enolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of light

Trust me.. the kid is addicted

My first fish on the fly was a 16" smallie on a black deer hair popper. At the age of 15, I thought I had a shark on, lol. That's a high I'm always chasing.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...