The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2013, 07:48 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough
Default Today's Still water mayfly hatch

So, it was a glorious 65 degree wakeup call, this morning. The water was still, and beautiful. And I couldn't catch a damn thing on anything that I had in my box. As I took notice, I saw mayflies about and decided that they were probably hindering my fishing day. Unfortunately, I didn't have anything in my box that closely resembled the mayflies hatching...

Click the image to open in full size.

So, can anyone tell me what type of mayflies these are? I never get to see a hatch, so today was a special pleasure for me. It was nice.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:45 PM

Location: Port Washington, WI (fish areas around grafton and plymouth)
pikefisher69 has a spectacular aura aboutpikefisher69 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Today's Still water mayfly hatch

I may be wrong, but that looks like a Hex. We get them at my cabin, they are out at night and you can still find them in the morning and day, just not as active.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:52 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

I *think* pikefisher sorted this one for you with Hex (hexagenia). As was mentioned, they usually offer phenomenal fishing after the 8 PM hour.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:13 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Its a yellowish/tan mayfly. you need ones that color :P

I will agree with the hex guess, abit a smaller one.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 09-02-2013, 09:24 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

They were still landing through the afternoon. We went to a different lake around 2 pm and saw more. However, the simple fiber tail, dubbed body, and hackle wing wouldn't work. I would assume that realism in still water is the key? Does anyone have any good extended body patterns for this particular fly?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-02-2013, 10:26 PM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice

Mayfly Species Ephemera varia (Yellow Drake)

Simply a wonderful fly to tie!
Old 09-03-2013, 08:28 AM

When I look up this species, it shows a mayfly with three barbs sticking out from its tail. Every fly that I grabbed had only two. Is there any difference because of the barbs?
Old 09-03-2013, 08:45 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

When you say 'this species' are you referring to the Hex or to the Yellow Drake Rickf mentioned? If the fly was hatching during the day and at the end of August / beginning of September it seems the wrong time of day and wrong time of year for a Hex. I'm use to them hatching more June-ish and after dark. Not sure if it is different where you live. Also look more like a yellow drake to me.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:07 AM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

Definitely a Hex of some sort. In MN, we'd see them all through August until the first good chill. They'd hatch out of still water ponds with a silty/mucky bottom. All the ones I saw had 3-barbed tails, though. Check out:

Genus Hexagenia - BugGuide.Net
Old 09-03-2013, 09:26 AM

I was referring to the ones that I'm holding in the picture. The temperature dropped dramatically in the night, so if cooler weather initiates a hatch, it was definitely good condition for it. Either way, I'm just trying to get a good extended body pattern for this. My understanding is that because it sits in still water, that fish have a longer time to examine the offering. So, something more life-like would be a better choice in this case? Please let me know what you think about my ideology.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2