The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 02:47 PM

jjsacid is on a distinguished road
Question What type of sunfish is this?

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

I'm not sure what I have here and figured somebody here would know. It had a fairly large mouth for such a small fish but is hard to see in the pics. I caught it out of the Watab River near St. Cloud, MN. thanks for looking -Jared
Old 09-05-2013, 02:58 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What type of sunfish is this?

Looks like a green sunfish. I used to catch them in a small reservoir in southern Utah.

Kelly.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:13 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

Lepomis Macrochirus
Old 09-05-2013, 03:20 PM

jjsacid is on a distinguished road

I've caught greens before and didn't think it was a green but I had never seen such dark color on such a small bluegill or any that weren't just kind of solid black. All the small bluegill I have caught were so light but I guess I figured it wasn't a warmouth since they're probably no where near here. I also caught some bluegills down the river a bit that looked like average bluegills.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:30 PM

nick k is a jewel in the roughnick k is a jewel in the roughnick k is a jewel in the rough

Don't let them all fool you. It's a baby tarpon.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:24 PM

winxp_man is a jewel in the roughwinxp_man is a jewel in the roughwinxp_man is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsacid View Post
I've caught greens before and didn't think it was a green but I had never seen such dark color on such a small bluegill or any that weren't just kind of solid black. All the small bluegill I have caught were so light but I guess I figured it wasn't a warmouth since they're probably no where near here. I also caught some bluegills down the river a bit that looked like average bluegills.

I have caught some with colors like this. Some even smaller on #20 #22 ant pattern fly on the shore. They are fun on a #2 or #3 rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
Don't let them all fool you. It's a baby tarpon.

HAHAHA they sure are tricky! HAHAHA
Old 09-05-2013, 05:04 PM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future

Small Green Sunfish. Easy to mistake for a Warmouth when they are small but the dorsal , eyes and location say otherwise! One of my favorite"Sunnys"!
mcnerney and caseywise like this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 09-05-2013, 05:13 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i was gonna say immature warmouth, but the eyes are not correct.
i'd say green sunfish as well. very fun on a 2 wt.

casey

ARFE
Old 09-05-2013, 07:06 PM

95chevy will become famous soon enough

I like the patterns and colors on these guys. But pumpkin seeds are my favorite. Just like the one in my profile picture.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4
Old 09-08-2013, 09:52 PM

al_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura about

Nope, most definitely NOT a green sunfish. Colors are wrong, shape is wrong, mouth is too small. However, it could be a hybrid between a green sunfish and a redear or even a bluegill. Greens hybridize readily with both species. And oddly enough, I've got a sunfish in my aquarium that looks almost exactly like that one, which I believe to be a green/redear hybrid.