The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By pikefisher69
  • 1 Post By siege

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2013, 12:40 PM

Location: Port Washington, WI (fish areas around grafton and plymouth)
pikefisher69 has a spectacular aura aboutpikefisher69 has a spectacular aura about
Default The Smallie Love Sparks!

The love for smallies on the fly has gotten a new spark! I was fishing for smallies in the milwaukee river and caught one smallmouth after about 30 minutes of fishing. It was the usual size, about 8'' long. Then in about 5 minutes of casting close to a point, a really nice smallmouth for the river inhaled my hopper pattern! The bass was about 14" long. It would bend my 8 wt like no other fish I've ever hooked into before. It was the first fish I caught that would really strip line off of my reel also! It took about 10 minutes to land this beast and it was some of the most fun I've had in a while. The picture doesn't do the fish any justice for it's fighting ability or size, but it's still nice.

Click the image to open in full size. Sorry about the bad pic, it was pretty gloomy out today.
mcnerney, mridenour and hailfly like this.

Last edited by pikefisher69; 09-08-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:02 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: The Smallie Love Sparks!

that's a great fish ...they are so much fun to catch!
Old 09-08-2013, 02:08 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Awesome!

The first Smallmouth I ever caught on a fly was in a small stream that was barely 30 ft wide. The same stream that I caught my first Smallmouth on any tackle. It wasn't very big, maybe 10", but fought hard. I've been hooked ever since!

Thanks for sharing the pic & spark!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 09-08-2013, 02:24 PM

pikefisher69 has a spectacular aura aboutpikefisher69 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks guys! Yeah, these bad boys are true fighting machines that don't quit
Old 09-08-2013, 09:06 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

It's awesome to see a guy of your age hooked on flyfishing. From where I sit, it's encouraging to watch your progress in the sport.
All to often we hear about young men who commit stupid crimes just because they were bored. Their lives are changed for ever, and it is such a waste.
Stick with it, and it just gets better. Must be time to " hook " your friends !
mcnerney likes this.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:41 PM

Thanks Siege! I got the same reaction when my friend and I went to the Orvis store that just opened about 3 years ago. The manager was even happy enough to give us a few flies for free, but now I tie my own.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:03 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome catch, congrats!
You got to love the way smallies fight!

Larry

Old 09-09-2013, 09:55 AM

muppetmullet81 is on a distinguished road

Thats a sweet fish man.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:12 AM
mridenour

Congratulations on a great fish! Smallies have no idea how big they are! They are the ultimate over-achievers. I've caught some big largemouth that I wish had the smallie mentality.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted on your successes!