The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2013, 09:38 PM

john montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the rough
Default Summer carpin

Certain things about summer carpin are perfect. Water levels, full sun, etc. but summer also brings the heat that gives the fish the mid day lull (I hate chasing sunning carp). In the summer, I actually pray for a stuff wind to keep some wave action going and mask my approach and cast as well as keep the fish active. A fly fisherman praying for wind...weird. Regardless, the late summer months have been good out west for carp.

Summer pictures:
Click the image to open in full size.

Been catching the bulk of the fish on the hybrid, with a few coming on San Juan's or trouser worms etc. summer fish are tough, we have really had to feed them the fly, but with all that good light some of the visuals have been astounding. The biggest fish there was actually sunning and I threw a carp wooley at her from about 30 feet away. The fly hit just behind and too her right as she was faci g away from me and she flipped around in an instant to eat it. Awesome stuff!

I hope everyone is doing well...sad to see the summer go.

Carp on the Fly
Old 09-08-2013, 09:56 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Summer carpin

John: Great looking fish, you guys have been landing some beauties, congrats!

Larry

Larry
Old 09-08-2013, 10:00 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

Great stuff! Great photos! Love the Mirror Carp
Old 09-08-2013, 10:15 PM

enolaeagle is a jewel in the roughenolaeagle is a jewel in the roughenolaeagle is a jewel in the rough

Holy Sch-Nikes!!! I think I'm free this weekend to hang out with you

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 09-09-2013, 07:15 AM

nick k is a jewel in the roughnick k is a jewel in the roughnick k is a jewel in the rough

Beautiful fish. Is it just me or do you perpetually have a professional photographer following you around?
Old 09-09-2013, 08:11 AM

rudolf hukka is on a distinguished road

Fly fishing for carp is becoming poular here in the U.K. too.
I've only had a couple up to about 3-4lb's in weight, but they certainly fight hard!!!!!!!
You may find this post on carp fishing in the U.K. of interest.

http://www.flyfishing.co.uk/fly-fish...p-tactics.html

Rudolf

Last edited by rudolf hukka; 09-09-2013 at 08:41 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:40 AM

john montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the rough

Nick, I am pretty fortunate in that my main fishing partner is a beast with the camera. David takes great photos...he also designed the logo for our hats. He's a talented guy. The other photos are ones I took. I use a pretty good camera (Panasonic lumix lx7) and that does most of the heavy lifting.

Rudolf, interesting read! The waters I fish are pretty wild, often miles away from where there would be people etc. so I don't use bread flies or anything of that sort. It is also illegal to chum here in OR and WA. I honestly don't think the carp would know what a bread fly was! I'm mostly trying to imitate their natural forage, which in this case is clams or basic nymphs. Pretty fun to spot 'em, stalk 'em, and feed 'em!
rudolf hukka and mridenour like this.

Carp on the Fly
Old 09-09-2013, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Beautiful fish John! Congrats!
Can you tell us what gear you use?
Old 09-09-2013, 11:43 AM

jp, I use a 7 weight Orvis Helios 2 and a Cheeky Mojo 425 as my main set up. I fish the Orvis Hydros carp line as well (really love that line). Standard 1x tapered leader and tippet, and most of my fish have been caught on a hybrid this year.

the ordinary fish i see is about 9-10 lbs, so a 7 is a good all around rod. I chase a lot of bigger fish too, and an 8 would certainly be appropriate, but with the small flies I fish I find a 7 a little better suited.
jpbfly likes this.

Carp on the Fly
Old 09-09-2013, 12:45 PM

bradyb will become famous soon enoughbradyb will become famous soon enough

Very nice. Carpin has been good in the midwest as well. I've been showing my son the way of the carp this summer. Great fish to learn how to fight on. Much less heart breaking to lose a carp than a steelhead.