The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By rickf
  • 2 Post By rickf
  • 1 Post By jbird
  • 2 Post By rickf

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2013, 10:41 PM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice
Default Lake fishing with a sink tip

I've been tearin' up the big bluegills in my local lake. The fish are suspended in deep water, about half way down.

I thought to myself "perfect for a fly rod and a fast sink tip line"

The fall bite is on here in PA. They were biting so good, I didn't have to use any stinkin' Gulp plastic! LOL

74 with no wind today. I fished from my float tube from 3pm until 6pm. I must have caught 100 huge bluegills today. I released everything ...... I already have a full freezer with my previous "drop shot" outings!

Best fly today, by far was a size 12 3X white and black marabou streamer. I used my 3 wt with a fast sink tip line.

Tight Lines,

Click the image to open in full size.

mridenour and nick k like this.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:06 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Lake fishing with a sink tip

Very cool. I like a sink tip on a six weight for bass and blue gills as well when they hang deep. I usually throw clousers. Do you have a pic of that fly?
Old 09-25-2013, 11:23 PM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about

I've been known to run a full-sinking line on my 6wt when fishing in reservoirs for suspended Yellow Perch, Crappie, and Bluegill.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:48 PM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fq13 View Post
Very cool. Do you have a pic of that fly?
fq,

The guitar pic points to the fly I caught the 100 bluegills on yesterday:

mcnerney and jbird like this.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:53 AM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

There is nothing more deadly in Stillwater than suspending a fly under an indicator. Some purists may frown on this but it is so effective its ridiculous. This method holds true for trout too. But that's another discussion. You can set your depth very specifically. A two fly setup is ideal using a micro bugger and small nymph. Its so deadly when there's a little ripple on the surface causing those flies to dance. But even when its still, you can twitch it. This way you can cover your bases with one rod and one line.

That is a spectacular day you had there. Some very nice slabs! Congrats!
mcnerney likes this.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird View Post
There is nothing more deadly in Stillwater than suspending a fly under an indicator. Some purists may frown on this
jbird,

I agree with you! The next day, yesterday, I put my floating line back on and caught even more fish than before.

With this warm, no wind weather, and the fall bite, the 'gills are staying near the top all afternoon. I think I've found bluegill "Nirvana"?
mridenour and jbird like this.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:48 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickf View Post
jbird,
The next day I caught even more fish than before.