The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mirabelasunshine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2013, 06:10 PM

zum will become famous soon enough
Default Top water

Besides top water, I normally start throwing bigger jerk baits this time of year.
This being my first full year of just fly fishing, I'm finding my numbers are dwindling with the top water bite.
How long do the rest of you throw top water?

What are some of your favorite fall time sub surface flies...streamers?
I'm using a 7wt, so bigger sizes flies are what I'm wondering about.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:48 PM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future
Default Re: Top water

Just finished throwing some Muddlers and medium Dahlberg Divers on my lake. The Bass were slow at first but as it got dark they hammered it! I like to throw topeaters in the fall that push water similar to a spinnerbaits buzzed across the top. When I do the river Gurglers and Poppers ate the topwaters of choice. Daytime in the fall I go to large streamers and Muddlers worked below the surface. Larger Mickey Finns and Black Nose Dace seem to be very productive when bait is being chased !
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 09-27-2013, 07:09 PM

mirabelasunshine is a jewel in the roughmirabelasunshine is a jewel in the roughmirabelasunshine is a jewel in the rough

I assume we're talking about bass here. I like something with either a conehead or big dumbbell eyes, and marabou with or without a bunny trailer, and some flash. Just let it sort of fall through where they're holding, with a few little twitches on the way down, then crawl it back deep. Sort of like a roller jig with a porkrind for the fly guy.

Click the image to open in full size.

This stuff is a pain in the arse to cast, even with an 8 wt, and if you bean yourself you won't soon forget it, but it catches fish.
baseman1 likes this.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:53 PM

zum will become famous soon enough

I think that's one of my main problems I have to work on with fly fishing....I go to fast.
I can't feel the fly as well as I did a lure, so I can't get a feel on how to work it or what's it doing.(in still water)
Top water or even a steady retrieve with a fly just under the surface, I can visually see it but when trying to suspend or slow crawl a weighted fly...I stink.
Fall was always suspended jerk bait time,guess I'll just have to practise more...
Old 09-27-2013, 11:04 PM

fq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by zum View Post
I think that's one of my main problems I have to work on with fly fishing....I go to fast.
I can't feel the fly as well as I did a lure, so I can't get a feel on how to work it or what's it doing.(in still water)
Top water or even a steady retrieve with a fly just under the surface, I can visually see it but when trying to suspend or slow crawl a weighted fly...I stink.
Fall was always suspended jerk bait time,guess I'll just have to practise more...
I'm the same way with nymphs and dries in still water for trout. I don't have a clue what to do. But for warm water fish? Its pretty easy. Think like a minnow. Short twitches and small jerks. The key is to let it sink (remember they will often hit on the fall, so take up slack quickly) and bring it in slowly for bass, unless they're smashing bait, then go for panicked wounded minnow mode. Watch your fly in the water and figure out what looks best. Rabbit tail and marabou with a little flash are your friends as you get a lot of motion with a slow retrieve.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:25 AM

mirabelasunshine is a jewel in the roughmirabelasunshine is a jewel in the roughmirabelasunshine is a jewel in the rough

Yeah ... another thing that complicates the whole picture is that plugs and bladed lures make more commotion than most flies, and draw fish from a wider area, so with a subsurface fly -- whether a weighted "bass bomb" or a nymph or whatever -- it becomes more important to put it right where the fish are in the first place, as it is not going to bring them in from a distance. You have to be better at reading water, and still water can be hard to read. The thing is, though, once you find a concentration of fish, they'll let you know what they want.

That's probably the best thing you can do, in fact, to get better at this kind of fishing (probably at any kind of fishing!) -- go to a spot with a known dense population, maybe even using conventional tackle to prospect until you know you're over fish, and then try various retrieves and depths until you get the feel for it. You need to have one of those twenty-fish mornings to really dial in a) what the retrieve should be, and b) what it feels like when a fish picks up, and to have one of those you need to be on top of a pretty solid pile of fish to begin with.