The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2013, 09:22 PM

sterling woodsman is on a distinguished road
Default Shad Streamer for Largemouth Bass

I was at bass pro today and they were having fishing seminars by some pro fisherman. After the seminar (which was actually pretty good), I told him I fly fish for bass and asked what I should be using this time of year. He said the shad spawned recently and if he was fly fishing he would be using something white to imitate shad.

I'm guessing a white streamer with maybe some flash in it but I thought I would see if anybody had any suggestions on a good shad imitation for largemouths.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:29 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Shad Streamer for Largemouth Bass

I tie a fly with silver tinsel tail... Silver chenille and UV silver polar chenille. Red thread. Tied on 1/0 sw. Bass love it.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:25 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

EP baitfish flies would be killer for that. Some larger deceivers would be great as well.

Just for an example, I pulled this image off of Google.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:29 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Get out the 8 wt and maybe a split shot to get it down, but yeah, that ought to do it.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:29 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

A silver over white Lefty's Deceiver or Clouser Deep Minnow should do the trick. Just size them appropriately.

Dennis
Old 10-13-2013, 08:32 AM

sterling woodsman is on a distinguished road

I forgot to mention that I don't tie my own flies (yet), so I should have said what is a good shad fly that I could buy somewhere.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:09 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

As Dennis has said, you can't go wrong with Deceivers or Clouser Deep Minnows. LM bass are not usually too picky about the fly pattern, so there are hundreds of streamer patterns that will imitate shad.

In addition to those two, I like Murdich Minnows & Goldies, and there are the many Enrico Puglusi (EP) style flies available on most sites that sell flies. Most of Bob Popovics flies will work as Shad imitations!

There's also "bucktail deceivers" & "flat wing" streamers used in the salt.

The basic shad is white & some flash on it's sides. Some will have shades of gray, olives, & purples on their backs. Again, not sure that matters a whole lot with bass, as all of these colors will catch them.

A Google image search for these fly styles will provide many images that you can compare & select what you like.

As far as places to buy flies, flyfishusa.com, which I believe is a site sponsor is one source, Fishwest, another sponsor, and Orvis is another. I'm not a big Orvis fan, but have purchased their flies when they have sales (& I can get them cheap) and the quality has been very good. Millers Fly Shop in TX is another source, and there's a few Ebay sellers (individual tiers) that I can recommend. (Send me a PM)

I tie most of my own flies, but have over the years bought from other sources when I didn't have time to tie. IMO, you'll often get what you pay for with fly quality, some "cheap" is not always a good value. Cheap flies that fall apart quickly don't give you your money's worth. Good flies don't have to be expensive, but you should get used to paying a little more if you want good flies!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!