The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2013, 03:15 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Missouri River Carp

Bah! They're just trash fish. You should be catching 8" trout. Very nice fish, and I wouldn't feel silly about an 11 wt for forty pounders IF you're throwing big flies. Otherwise I'd recommend a sturdy 10 with a nice fighting butt. Down here I own both and have fished a lot of 11 and 12s for tarpon. The thing is they are a lot less fun to cast than a 10, and a good ten will do the job on most things fifty pounds and under unless they have deep water to run into and you have to horse them up. Then you want the 11 or 12. I use a Loomis GL3 and have no complaints, but there are better rods out there.

.I'm about to get serious about the grass carp in my local golf course ponds. What fly did you use?
Old 10-04-2013, 06:22 AM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

A fly called the black ops, tied on a size 8 bone fish hook.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 06:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 AM ----------

I also use an 8 weight with a good presentation taper. I think it handles these fish well. I've also had good luck with a spey rod, swinging the fly into the bank and striping it back, or swinging it in the current and striping it back through a seam.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:52 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Black Ops FTW!!!! That fly catches everything. Do yours have the black tail or the flash tail? flash tail is where its at.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 10-04-2013, 08:19 AM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

I use perfect rubber for a tail

---------- Post added at 08:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 AM ----------

Also pheasant tail. Black ops and a stonefly nymph in size 6 or 8 both work great.

---------- Post added at 08:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 AM ----------

Also, after what I saw the other night, hex nymphs.