The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2013, 08:44 PM

mbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the rough
Default #yearofthebluegill

Have you guys seen these? Blogger Cam Mortenson of The Fiberglass Manifesto coined this the year of the bluegill, and Rep Your Water designed a hat to celebrate. Catching bluegill on poppers is how I learned to fly fish.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:26 PM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice
Default Re: #yearofthebluegill

I agree! Bluegills are more fun than trout!

mridenour likes this.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:46 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickf View Post
I agree! Bluegills are more fun than trout!
I agree that fishing for bluegill is fun, and that's exactly why I enjoy it. (that and they're good to eat )
But saying that they're "more fun than trout" is comparing apples to oranges

Bluegills are a kick-back, have a happy soda, put your feet up and relax kinda fun.

Trout fishing is more cerebral. There's a much higher learning curve than with pan fish.
A major reason why someone else might think trout fishing "more fun"
mridenour likes this.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:14 AM

Flyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to all

I'm in a similar way of thinking to Rip Tide.

I love bluegills, and they're my bread and butter along with bass.

Trout, though, mean vacation! Trout fishing gets me at least three hours away in new scenery (normally the Ozarks), camping for several days, eating grub cooked over a fire, fresh air, no worries, etc. Trout also mean a different style of fishing that's fun to do--wading, drifts, sight fishing and casting to rising fish, etc.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:34 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

.... sometimes I think fly rodding the surf is "the most fun"
Big flies, big rods, big strong fish. Wind in your face, surf pounding your chest
All very exhilarating and nothing at all like calm and quite warmwater and trout fishing

It's all good
theboz likes this.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:31 PM

Flyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
It's all good
Absolutely!

Bluegills, trout, all that swims... Haven't ever had a chance to do saltwater, but maybe someday...
Old 10-01-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfisher for men View Post
Haven't ever had a chance to do saltwater, but maybe someday...
Nothing like it. It's the "most fun"

mridenour likes this.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:

Looks great, but grad school is depriving me even of a chance at those bluegills. At the moment, I'm researching Rutherford B. Hayes. Nothing against him, but an hour with Ol' Rutherford doesn't measure up to an hour of bluegills!
mridenour likes this.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:27 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
.... sometimes I think fly rodding the surf is "the most fun"
Big flies, big rods, big strong fish. Wind in your face, surf pounding your chest
All very exhilarating and nothing at all like calm and quite warmwater and trout fishing

It's all good
That sums it up for me! ITS ALL GOOD! Bluegills are a blast but so is the surf , the flats , lakes , ponds , bays , rivers and streams! Like my best friends mom used to tell anyone who would listen " If there is a puddle in the street these two would find a way to fish it!"

---------- Post added at 01:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 PM ----------

Terrific picture Rip!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 10-01-2013, 02:29 PM
mridenour

Quote:

I could get into that! Unless you are hooked into a Russian Submarine...that would be kind of a drag.