The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2008, 11:39 AM

nralover is on a distinguished road
Default General purpose flyrod?

I am looking to buy my first fly fishing kit, and had a question on which "weight" to choose. I would like to fish for bluegill and crappie, but hope to be able to chase largemouth and smallmouth bass as well. The bluegill in my lake are sometimes pretty big, but the bass rarely top 3 pounds. Is there a rod I can buy that will cover a good amount of the spectrum, and also, will a basic click drag reel suffice? Thanks, NRA
Old 02-13-2008, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: General purpose flyrod?

Hi nralover,

First let me welcome you to the forum. This is a great forum for a beginner. Have you taken a look at the FAQ section on equipment for beginners? If you have not here is a link to the thread. It may get you going in the right direction.

Frank
Old 02-13-2008, 11:55 AM

nralover is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the friendly welcome I will check into the link immediately...
Old 02-13-2008, 12:01 PM

Joe D is on a distinguished road

nralover,

For what you're looking for I would be thinking about a seven weight as a starter. A click drag would be fine. There was a time when that was pretty much your only choice.

Joe
Old 02-13-2008, 03:34 PM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

7 wt. graphite 9feet......... wf floating

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 02-13-2008, 04:17 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

I will have to disagree with a 7wt for someone who has never cast a rod before. Most 7wt rods are at the edge of being a fast action. Maybe a slow action 7wt but he would have to be very cautious with his choice. A beginner with no teacher or no store with instructions will have a problem learning how to fly cast. A lighter line rod with a slow to medium action would be a better choice. The 7wt would be OK for bass but he is talking no bigger than 3 pound bass. I think he would learn much faster with a 5wt rod and maybe a 6wt if he thinks there will be a lot of bass. When he learns how to cast he can move up to a 8wt or 9wt for big bass and other big fish. Thats my story and I am sticking to it.

Frank
Old 02-13-2008, 05:24 PM

Joe D is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Most 7wt rods are at the edge of being a fast action.
There are several slow to medium action sevens out there, and fast shouldn't be a problem anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Thats my story and I am sticking to it.
Frank
...and that's mine
Old 02-13-2008, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with Frank on this one, I think for Bass no larger than 3# a 5wt rod would be fine.

I think Frank is suggesting a little slower action because he is a beginning caster, slower rod being a little more forgiving on casting mistakes.

And that's just my opinion, I could be wrong......

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 02-13-2008, 09:09 PM

GRN will become famous soon enough

I'm gonna split the difference, I learned on an 8'6" 6wt without the weight being an obstacle... have started many folks on that same rod with great success. A 6wt will also be a better fit to the original posters fishing environment.

TL's~

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford
Old 02-13-2008, 09:16 PM

nymph4trout is on a distinguished road

A good all purpose rod for southern fresh waters is a 6 wt. It will handle most bass although you'll have trouble in thick weeds. It's a bit stout for panfish, but if the bite is on, you can flick them onto shore and be back in the water for the next fish! It's a bit stout for southern stocked trout, but naturally reproducing browns in Arkansas would be perfect.

As you improve, you'll drop down to a 2-3 wt for 1 lb. brim (lots of fun on a light rod). If you're into throwing double bunny leeches with tungsten barbell eyes on a sinking line for deep bass, you'll need more stick (probably that 7wt that people are talking about). But if you're just beginning, get a well balanced 6 wt rod and reel combo and get some lessons on how to cast (avoid bad habits before they begin!). If you have good muscle memory and can teach yourself from books, Lefty Kreh and Ed Jaworski have an excellent book on casting. The ideas and themes are good from small trout to bonefish. (The classic books from Catskill authors "10 to 2"-stuff are only good for trout- the first time you throw the above mentioned double bunny and you smack your $500 rod, you'll wish you knew how to throw a fly!).

If you're in on a budget, I'd recommend the Scientific Angler 6wt combo (<$100). It looks rinky dink, but it's well balanced, it's easy to cast, and makes a great back up for the back seat when you're a better caster. Plus, I've retired mine and taught more than a dozen people how to cast with it (plus it was only $60 when I bought it..

If money's not an issue, go to a mom&pop fly shop, tell the owner you're wanting to get started, and cast all the rods side by side on the back lawn. The mom&pop shops are very knowledgeable and may even take the time to teach you to cast. THEN, hire a guide (tell them you're a never-ever), ask them to bring several rods you're interested in. Go fishing and see which brand's action fits you best. THEN go buy your rod.

If you live near the gulf coast and only want to buy 2 rods, I'd get a 5 wt and an 8 wt. They should be 4 pieces. You can travel for trout, you can handle any panfish and weedless bass. The 8 wt can cover weedy bass, carp, catfish on a sink tip and redfish/trout.

Hope that helps. $0.02- Ed