The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By rickf
  • 1 Post By ia_trouter
  • 1 Post By jdyers34

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2013, 10:42 PM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice
Default Bluegill Nirvana

Three hours of non stop action! I took my 3 wt to a local lake today from 3 PM until 6 PM.

Now that I have finally realized that a well tied feather fly will out-fish any worm or Gulp bait! It took me a awful lot of "research", but I now have my confidence back with my feather flies.

80 degrees, no wind, and the beautiful fall colors starting on the trees. I must have caught 100 Bluegills today. The fall feed bag is on, and I caught several huge 9" bluegills.

Today was my most fun trip this year.

Click the image to open in full size.

I saw this lake monster hiding near the shore!

The flies I caught the 'gills on today. Size 12 3X and 12 2X Mini buggers in Dun worked best.
mcnerney, von behr and mridenour like this.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:01 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Bluegill Nirvana

Looks like you had a great day. I am about to make my first serious attempt at gills on the fly. Appreciate the info. I'll tie up some smaller buggers tomorrow.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:13 PM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
I'll tie up some smaller buggers tomorrow.
trouter,

I've been trying all types and sizes of flies ........ now that I toss them again.

I thought that if I used a bigger fly, like a 8 3X, only the big 'gills would hit it? I was wrong, only a couple tiny 4" gills would attack it.

When I used a small nymph, like a size 16, the big 'gills would grab it, but they would always swallow the tiny hook.

For me, the best results (in this deep PA lake) is a size 12. Nymph, Streamer, or Dry Fly hook, as long as it is a 12.

Good luck with the fly tying. I still love the Woolybugger the best, but if you go to You Tube, you can see one thousand ties of great Bluegill flies.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:22 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Regarding bugger size, I have a similar experience with the stocked trout around here. Go larger than 10 and the bite often goes completely away. Everybody else seems to like 6s and 8s. I like to start small on most any lure or fly and sneak my way up until I have a trend, at least for that day anyway.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:42 AM

jdyers34 is on a distinguished road

I also learned this past week down on the White River to tie a little extra tail on the buggers. If it seems you are getting lite strikes and coming up empty, you can always trim the tail. This allows you to present a larger profile at first to see what is happening but then dial it back to what the fish want.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:05 PM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about

Congrats on a GREAT day with the gills.