The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2013, 09:16 PM

flymoron is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Has anyone targeted flathead catfish?

got most ny channels on batman beadheads ....cant figure that one out but it happens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 11-09-2013, 07:47 PM

monkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the rough

caught a 4lb. Channel Cat on a green nymph about thirty years ago in a large pond.

buzz

the universe in a drop of water

Norta Mudzoory
Old 11-22-2013, 07:23 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

My backyard creek is a tidal Potomac tributary full of sunfish, bass, gar, and blue catfish. Sometimes around low tide you can see them cruising around and yes -- I've successfully sight-casted and caught them this way

IT's actually a lot of fun -- most of the ones I've caught by sight have been fairly small (14-20"), but I've caught a couple of big ones by accident when fishing leeches and heavy baitfish patterns. You know you've got em when they are moving slowly and then all of a sudden speed up toward your stripped fly.

Catfish are fun, but aren't particularly strong fighters IMO. I'd rather hook carp if I had the choice.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:19 AM

kingofamberley is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post
My backyard creek is a tidal Potomac tributary full of sunfish, bass, gar, and blue catfish. Sometimes around low tide you can see them cruising around and yes -- I've successfully sight-casted and caught them this way

IT's actually a lot of fun -- most of the ones I've caught by sight have been fairly small (14-20"), but I've caught a couple of big ones by accident when fishing leeches and heavy baitfish patterns. You know you've got em when they are moving slowly and then all of a sudden speed up toward your stripped fly.

Catfish are fun, but aren't particularly strong fighters IMO. I'd rather hook carp if I had the choice.
A creek with catfish would be great! I mostly fish creeks around here (Ohio) but the catfish seem to prefer the rivers over the tributaries. The bottom feeder occupation in the creeks seems to be filled by suckers and some carp.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:11 PM

markfrid has a spectacular aura aboutmarkfrid has a spectacular aura about

Mr. Doneinne - Flyfisher for Men took the words out of my mouth. All the guys here that fish the Wabash and Little Wabash for Flatheads try to set their lines or nets near some kind of wood snag - a log, a root wad, a logjam, etc. You know, places that would be easy to fish with a fly rod! Ha-ha! I've only caught one Flathead on a fly rod while I was throwing a big, white bunny leach for stripes and white bass one spring. Wow, what a battle. By the way, if you aren't a died in the wool C&R guy, Flatheads are the best of the cats for eating - just my humble opinion, or course. Actually, one of my very favorite fresh water fish. I've foundered more than once (over-) eating Flatheads. MMmmmmm!

Mark
Old 01-21-2014, 12:33 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

@markfrid,

The ONLY species of catfish that I will eat are flatheads. So, I'd have to agree. This year, I'm throwing musky patterns for them, in the missouri river. I can't wait!
fly_guy12955 likes this.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:40 PM

imalt is on a distinguished road

I know a group of guys that use musky patterns to target them here in southwest ohio at night and do well. I have never tried though I am not a catfish fan.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:24 PM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by markfrid View Post
, Flatheads are the best of the cats for eating
Agreed! Excellent.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:26 AM

kingofamberley is on a distinguished road

The only catfish I have kept are channel cats, which I love. Next time I catch a 2-4 lb flatty, I may have to keep it!